Thyroid UK
85,671 members100,593 posts

Medical Tests to find out cause for low appetite and underweight !!

I am 28 years old and too skinny. I don't feel hungry. (very low appetite) .What medical tests I should undergo to find out the cause ? Is thyroid test sufficient ?

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Vgh88,

If your only symptoms are lack of appetite and weight loss you may simply need to eat more. I was advised that small frequent meals were helpful in increasing weight and I found protein shakes helpful too.

1 like

Hi Clutter,

I don't feel much hungry ! After eating small quantity of food I feel full ! I can't eat more forcefully. I heard people with thyroid ,liver problems have low appetite which can be cured ! So wanted to know what medical tests I should undergo to find out the exact cause .

Vgh88,

There are many reasons for having low appetite. If you can't eat sufficient to prevent weight loss you should consult your GP.

1 like

Thanks Clutter :)

Well, try asking your doctor to start with thyroid tests - TSH, FT4, FT3, TPOab. And, nutrient tests - vit D, vit B12, folate, ferritin. If you're not eating enough, these can be deficient, which decreases your appetite even further, and it becomes a vicious circle.

Your doctor might have his own ideas - a full live panel, for example. Try testing for low stomach acid, that would curb your appetite because anything you eat stays in the stomach longer than it should. You could even try a test for Coeliac. But, all that's just off the top of my head, it's not a problem I've ever had!

1 like

Thanks a lot greygoose. I Will meet a doctor soon :)

You're welcome. :)

Thank you so much Sandy12 :)

1 like

I have the same problem

Did you have a thyroid test?

You may also like...