Need help

I was wondering if anyone can help me. I'm pretty sure I have an overactive thyroid. My thyroid glands have always been enlarged but never really caused any problems. I've also had a "ball" or something on my thymus gland. Could that be a substernal goiter growing downward? I've had it for years and it doesn't seem to have grown or anything. I had blood drawn on Thursday and they called me this morning saying that my white blood cell count was a bit high. Could that be from my overactive thyroid? Some of the symptoms I've been having are: chronic cough for about a year (when I started taking my high blood pressure medication) feeling like something is stuck in my throat, feeling like I'm not fully taking a breath (mostly at night). I should also mention that I got my HBP medicine changed to one that has no coughing symptoms and it still hasn't gone away.

8 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Well, none of that sounds like an over-active thyroid to me. But, why don't you ask your doctor to test your thyroid? TSH, FT4, FT3. That would tell you what your thyroid is up to.

• Well I looked it up and it said that an overactive thyroid can cause your white blood cell count to rise.

• OK, but you don't have anything else that sounds like an over-active thyroid. Do you have a racing heart? Losing weight for not reason? Loose bowels? Feeling anxious and wired? An over-active thyroid is a terrible thing. Makes people feel very ill. And an enlarged gland could be due to under-active, too. The best thing to do is just ask your doctor to test your thyroid. Or, get a private test done if your doctor won't do it.

• Racing heart for sure. And yeah. I'll mention it next time.

• I think that's best.

• Also ask them to check your B12, vitamin d, folate and ferritin.

Unexplained cough can apparently sometimes be due to low B12.

• I have not heard of any of your symptons before , if you have a persisent cough your doctor should be investegating whats going on , I do not think its your thyroid

• BEST TO HAVE IT CHECKED OUT, I HAD THYROID CANCER, I HAD SEVERAL NODULES THAT COULD BE SEEN THROUGH SCANS, TOOK SEVERAL BIOPSIES, NOTHING EVER SHOWED.I HAD 1/2 TAKEN OUT, THAT HALF HAD A CANCER IN IT WHEN SENT TO THE LAB, THE NEXT WEEK I HAD TO TAKE OUT THE OTHER HALF, NOTHING TO PLAY WITH.

You may also like...