Thyroid UK
84,022 members99,002 posts

Bloodwork help please :-)

I had bloods taken last Thursday due to the appearance of a goitre after being over 2 years in remission with supposed Graves.

My bloods are now in and it's a bit anticlimactic really...

T4 17 (10-24)

TSH 0.66 (0.35-4.5)

... they look fine :-( Can anyone else tell anything from these?

My goitre has increased in size, it no longer just affects the right lobe but is coming round the front. My Doctor appointment is on Thursday this week.

I've been looking at the Blue Horizon test and am fully prepared to travel and get more blood work down if the Doctor wants to "wait and see" what happens to my goitre. I can't believe only the most basic test has been done for someone with a previous history, I feel so stupid for not specifying I needed the full works.

4 Replies

Granitecitygirl, TSH and FT4 are euthyroid and don't indicate hyperthyroidism. I think it's unlikely FT3 will be elevated when TSH is within range and FT4 mid range but a FT3 test will confirm.

I wonder whether Graves antibodies are causing inflammation of the thyroid?


I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

1 like

As Clutter suggests, maybe it is antibodies causing your problem, so get GP to check.

I would ask to be referred to an Endocrinologist to look at your goitre. You just cannot be left without some 'expert' advising you on the goitre. I've found this and don't know if it will be helpful:

1 like

Thanks folks. I'll certainly push for the referral. I will also make the suggestion of the antibodies and see about getting them checked out. That is a really interesting and plausible theory.

I definitely don't want to be left with a goiter.


Follow up with my GP today, I do not have a goiter. It is not attached to my thyroid but just immediately next to it and is a diffuse swelling. I've been referred to an ENT specialist for further investigation but GP is confident it is benign whatever it is.


You may also like...