Hypothyroidism & Dopamine Deficiency?

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anybody had had any personal experiences with the combination of conditions mentioned above? I was diagnosed as Hypo in Sept '14 (not Hashi) and thyroxine (now up to 125mcg) has 'balanced' my levels but not done much for me.

Given the results of my recent gene tests done and other pointers (many symptoms, ADD diagnosis) I'm keen to explore Dopamine as a potential causer of my symptoms, which I've read can often be brought on by Hypothyroidism.

At this current moment I'm trying to gather and read as much as possible into dopamine and how it interacts with the thyroid. I've read both that low dopamine can cause hypo and hypo can bring on a dopamine deficiency. What I'm wondering is if anybody has had any experience with this, what sort of tests they've done and how everything is being treated!

Thank you for all those that share

Matt

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I've recently started taking Mucuna Dopa, and although it's early days, I think it's helped me with energy levels, and made me slightly more optimistic and less irritable.

By the way, I'm a 47 year old male - I'm not sure if it's appropriate for women.

• i have this, i did a self-test and it explains me and every awful symptom, this is why i don't leave my house, why my mind wants to do stuff, but i cant move, i read about some Parkinson medication that works really well for this type of deficiency, and it doesn't "stop working" after prolonged use like some meds do, its called selegiline.

• mattioso,

I have no experience of low dopamine and hypothyroidism, but have read the symptoms are low mood, loss of enthusiasm and worthlessness.

In the brain dopamine functions as a neurotransmitter. In an unmedicated person the pituitary releases THS based on demand from the body but insufficient dopamine will decrease TSH levels so lowering thyroid hormones.

I don't know how this works in a hypothyroid patient medicating thyroid hormones.

I have Hashi and take 5HTP on recommendation of my endo who also uses it himself !

(precursor to serotonin.)

Flower

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………......................

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional and this information is not intended to be a substitute for medical guidance from your own doctor. Please check with your personal physician before applying any of these suggestions.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….....................

You may also like...