TSH Levels

Hi I am new here and looking for some advice, have some I believe to be hypothyroid symptoms..

I got blood test showing tsh levels 2.32, (0.27 - 4.2)

naturally I can see they are mid range however is there an optimum level for a 46 year old?

Just wondering how this result fares?? Any help would be appreciated

Also I believe I need follow up for T3 levels?

4 Replies

• Welcome to the forum, Mimi_1.

TSH 2.32 is within the reference range 0.27-4.2 for all adult ages in your area. TSH >2.0 can mean your thyroid is underperforming but NHS won't treat until your TSH is >4.2.

TSH is a pituitary hormone and it won't pick up on low FT4 and FT3 so it can be useful to have FT4 and FT3 thyroid tests. If either are below range it means you have secondary hypothyroidism and need thyroid hormone replacement. You'll probably have to order them privately as your TSH is not abnormal. You can order private thyroid tests from Blue Horizon and Genova via thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/testin...

Low/deficient ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate can cause musculoskeletal pain, fatigue and low mood similar to hypothyroid symptoms so it may be worth asking your GP to test them or to order them privately via the link above.

• Thankyou so much for your wonderful reply and all the information.

I may ask gp if she will do the FT4 and FT3 but as you say sounds unlikely

Wonder if they will be happy to do B12 test? I believe again this is not routine?

• Mimi, ferritin, vitamin D, B12 and folate can all be tested on the NHS. GPs don't routinely test the last three so it is worth requesting them.

• you need Thyroid Antibodies

Free T3

vit d3

they are all interrelated

a TSH of 2.3 could still indicate hypothyroid

You may also like...