Multinodular goitre found on 2nd FNA. How can they be sure one of the nodules not tested isn't cancerous ?

My 1st FNA came back graded 2 which was fine. My endo said biopsies had been taken from 2 large nodules 2 & 2.5cm but that the procedure would be repeated a few months down the line just to be sure.

I had my 2nd FNA this morning and I'm now slightly concerned as he said I had loads of nodules and it was impossible to stick a needle in them all so he would take from the larger 2 again. He just short of shrugged his shoulders as if to say who knows which didn't really put me at ease. Also I wasn't told this on my 1st test but they must have been there right ? And how can they be sure one of the nodules not tested isn't cancerous ?

Ps I'm currently on 75mg of levo. My last review suggested this was the correct dose. My next review is 7th July.

Thanks

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Mrs.S, it's incredibly rare for multinodular goiters to be anything other than benign. It's single nodules that are more likely to be cancerous and even then it is rare.

• Thank you for your reply. I know I'm probably worrying over nothing but i was just a bit shocked with his who knows attitude. It was almost like ah well we will just sit and wait to see if it happens. Probably being a bit oversensitive but I'm the kind of person who needs a yes or no answer not a maybe having said that my endo is very good so I'll get more info out of her in my review.

Thanks again

• Mrs.S, FNA2 is conclusively benign. Watch and wait is a precaution in case something changes but doesn't mean it will. I also like yes/no answers but the answer can only apply to the date of testing and isn't a guarantee for the future. If your status does change you can be sure it will be caught early because of your ongoing monitoring :)

• Thank you ! You certainly make things seem clearer :-)

You may also like...