Has anyone with Hashimoto's and underactive taken Serrapeptase to reduce mucous and cough. Any side effects?

Hi everyone, I'm hashimoto's so underactive and taking thyroxine 125m and have been on these meds for about 10years. I have terrible trouble with thick mucose and a cough with really bad spasms, almost vomit. It's driving me mad as I do some presentations in public. Dread having a bad coughing spasm while talking. Eating so many cough sweets, probably have no teeth left soon. GP says post nasal drip, given me nasal spray, not terrible effective. saw these Serrapeptase recommended on internet for just this problem. But worried about taking them in case of side effects. GP not terribly helpful thinks herbal stuff quack. Anybody any ideas?

11 Replies

oldestnewest
  • i am having this problem too will be interested in responses!

• I took serrapeptase for a time because I understood it could help break down fibrous tissue or scar tissue. I didn't feel any side effects. I did not know it affected mucous production.

Have you thought of taking guaifenasin, the main ingredient in cough syrup.

There was a certain therapy using this ingredient.

Also, this: N-Acetyl-l-Cysteine (NAC) is a derivative of the dietary amino acid l-cysteine. NAC has a high affinity for lung tissue, which it supports through mucolytic and antioxidant action. By disrupting disulfide bonds, NAC thins mucus. It is a powerful free radical scavenger and thus supports the body's na...

• Thanks Heloise for that info. Because I take Ramapril 10mg for by Hypertension as well as the thyroxine, always worry if things are going to react badly. As I'm my husbands carer too have to try to stay on as top form as possible. So try to "stay calm and carry on" as far as this illness allows me too.Bless you.

• And you have a lot to carry. There are websites about drug interactions but I think both that I mentioned should not cause a problem. Wishing you well.

• I don't know if this link will be helpful.

thyroidlifestyle.com/#!

• Thanks I've just ordered it sounds amazing.

• Black Seed Oil helped get rid of my persistent cough. It is a very interesting oil, if you would like to learn more; theblessedseed.com

I purchased from this Company as their oil is 100% pure cold pressed, made to the highest standard of extra virgin oil. It is also known as the blessed seed due to it's powerful healing qualities for many ailments. Definitely worth looking into.

Hope this helps.

• Thank you so much I'm willing t try anything that might help.

• You might have a vitamin D deficiency. Since mine was corrected I've not had as many colds or coldsores & my body aches reduced to. Another thing that has reduced headache, dizziness & mucus has been going gluten free.

• Thanks for that info, I'm thinking of going gluten free. I'm just trying lactose free this week to see if that helps and I'm drinking more water. I love a cup of tea but really struggling without the milk it tastes strange. Did your GP test for vit D level or did you just take a suppliment? Bless you

• My vit D was tested but GP didn't alert me to the fact it was low. I only found after paying for a £25 blood spot home testing kit (I've done 2 since) then 6 month battle with GP to ptescribe loading dose to bring level up. I also swear by Jarrows sublingual B12.

vitamindtest.org.uk

You may also like...