Even a Polar Bear can be mis-diagnosed with depression when the underlying cause is really thyroid related :(

Even a Polar Bear can be mis-diagnosed with depression when the underlying cause is really thyroid related :(

Central Park's 'depressed' polar bear Gus dies aged 27

Central Park's beloved polar bear Gus, who previously hit headlines after zookeepers believed he was suffering from depression, has died aged 27.

The much-celebrated animal was euthanized on Tuesday while under anesthesia for a medical procedure conducted by veterinarians at the Wildlife Conservation Society zoo.

He had been suffering from a low appetite and appeared to have difficulty chewing and swallowing his food and during the procedure, staff found he had a large, inoperable tumor in his thyroid region.

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/articl...

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • That's really sad :( x

• Heartbreaking :'(

• This has just made me even sadder and madder than I feel already :-(

• Me too :'(

• The history of polar bears in zoos seems not to be very happy at all. Anyone remember Knut the you male in Berlin zoo?

There has been quite some research into polar bears and thyroid (and pituitary, adrenals, etc.), for example:

sciencedirect.com/science/a...

Rod

• Poor Gus,and the female Ida died from liver disease.Is this a diet thing or are polar bears just like us.??

• Aww what a shame

Ann x

You may also like...