Possible IBS (constipation). Requiring food advice

Hi all,

I have been diagnosed with "idiopathic chronic constipation of the bowels for young women". Which I was told is "no specific cause for constipation". At the time I had lost 3 stones as I was being sick up to 14 times a day and was severely constipated. This was two years ago. Now I mainly vomit 3 times a month when on my period (I take domperidone for anti sickness prior to my period).

I still have constipation, bloating and stomach cramps almost all the time. I noticed that lactose caused cramps so cut it out of my diet and I remember I had a nut allergy prior to this whole bout of illness.

I have heard that certain foods can cause constipation and I would like to know if there is a suggested avoid and eat list. I take medicine for constipation but I don't want to be reliant on it. I really want to break this cycle and I have a doctor's appointment on Friday.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :-)

Kim

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Wheat should be on your list of possible suspects.

I cut wheat/gluten out of my diet and cured my constipation completely. I haven't needed to eliminate anything else to deal with it.

I got tested for coeliac disease before making the change, just to be sure (it was negative).

I did read that partially digested gluten proteins can have opiate-like effects on the bowel, which stops things from moving along.

• A consultant gastroenterologist told me that grapes can be constipating if too many eaten.

Also fluid is important.Drink plenty of water.

I think my IBS was originally caused by not going to the tiolet more than twice a week as a child. It was considered just a variation in the range.

• My PAIN started during prep for a colonoscopy. Always constipated, then I got PD. GI doctor says stay away from: bananas, rice, yogurt, cheese, white meat chicken, white flour, applesauce, chocolate, toast! Very difficult.

Foods that are good for constipation: oatmeal, berries, pears, peaches, plums, papaya, mango, raisin, carrot, celery, peas. This is from Dr. Frissora's Plan for Bloat and the "Sensitive Stomach". Recommends homemade soups. I bought a crockpot based on this.

She gave me more lists but gotta go now!

• Hi all,

Thank you a so much for your responses. I have had a week where I have started to drink more water as my intake is so poor. And I eat high levels of sweet biscuits too, so trying to cut this down too. I also have been having smaller portions of rice or pasta and trying to eat less meat. So far I have seen a difference in how bloated I feel. Thanks for the information. Im now realising that with commitment I may be able to manage my food and then body. :)

You may also like...