PLEASE HELP - I'm getting myself in such a panic.

I have recently had to give up work and have applied for contribution-based ESA. Which my claim is being processed, in the meantime what happens about my prescriptions? I can no longer afford to pay for perception prepayment scheme, I have looked on the internet and it says that free perception are available to Income based ESA. Where does that leave me? on £73 a week I can't afford 8 lots of meds a month. I have looked if Scleroderma is on the list for medical exemption Certificate, but it's not. My husband is retired and on state pension. I am so worried I don't know what to do.

19 Replies

  • Hi

    Ive looked into this and I think the way to go about it is speak to your GP and ask for the medical exemption certificate application form (FP92A).You are entitled to free prescriptions on ESA so don't worry .Hope this helps .

  • Thank you, I will arrange to see my doctor and ask, regards.

  • Have you given up work because of your condition? If so apply for PIP (The old DLA).Get as much evidence from your GP Hospital consultant, and any other medical people you see to go with your application. If you are on the contribution based ESA then unfortunately you don't get free prescriptions.Good luck

  • Yes, I have had to give up work because of my condition. I have been in receipt of PIP since June which is £55 per week. If this is the case I haven't a clue what I am going to do we can't make ends met now, never mind having to paid for my meds, I am going to talk to my doctor tomorrow she what she suggests.

  • Why did you do all that?

  • Why do what? If I did nothing I wold have no money and no home? I don't understand your question

  • You seem to have given up a lot and I don't know if it is due to your Raynaud's and scleroderma and if you need help there.

  • I haven't given up on anything????? I think you miss understand. I was asked to leave my job because I was unable to do it! I suffer from Raynauds and scleroderma, I would love to work, but I can't! my husband has to help me get dressed, cook, wash etc - I have great medical help but there is only so much available.

  • Yes I had misunderstood your situation. I wish you the best possible.

  • I worry about the same thing as my employers are getting twitchy with me being off for so long(2.5 months so far with another two just given by the gp). Hope it works out for you.

  • I'm sorry your having problems, my boss was really good he "put up" with my time off for over 6 months but there was only 3 of use that worked there so I had to go, I couldn't possibly work at the moment but I do home to return to work in the future. I really hope things are OK for you. xxx

  • me too and hope things work out for you. Life eh, never know what round the corner.

  • So true, I am still trying to get my head around it all, my life has changed so much. I am still going through the "why me" don't get me wrong I have great support and my doctors have been amazing. The worse is not knowing.......... will I ever feel better...........will I get worse......will I........ You know where I'm going with it, I just worried sick how were going to cope, how do people cope on benefits I have worked since I was 15 I've never had a fantastic wage, but enough to pay the bills and a treat every now and again. Sorry I'm going on, it's be a long tearful day. Keep me posted how you get on - I'm here if you need a chat (sorry again for my rant) xxxx :)

  • No need to apologise, you seem to be echoing my thoughts. Why me etc. Everyone needs a rant and sound off now and then so go for it. I will muddle through and see where this takes me. Like Spock from star trek said 'it's life Jim but not as we know it' lol.

  • Hello Sharon, you can buy a pre payment certificate, it costs about £11 a month by direct debit or around £30 for 3 months .I have one I have 10 items a month so it works out a lot cheaper ask at your pharmacy or look online to buy one.Once you have it all your prescriptions are covered.

    Hope this helps


  • I do this at the moment but £11 per month is a lot of money when it could go to paying for heat. But apparently, scleroderma is not on the medical exemption list and because my husband has a small private pension, I am not entitled to any help with prescription - so upset about it.

  • If your on contribution based esa you. cannot claim for free prescriptions only income based qualify,I am on contribution,and found this out ,it's very confusing,

  • But apparently, scleroderma is not on the medical exemption list and because my husband has a small private pension, I am not entitled to any help with prescription - so upset about it.

    They haven't said anything about the contribution or income ESA.

    I have since found out we can't get any other help because I applied for contributions ESA - I'm still waiting to be put in a "group" I've then been told once this has happened to contact them and asked to be put on income based, have you done this?

  • I don't have to I live in Wales prescriptions are free for everyone here,

You may also like...