Sickle Cell Society

Losing my friends!

Lost another friend to sickle cell two days ago. I have lost over 10 friends now and I am angry, fed up and upset. It's a feeling of helplessness. I don't know who will go next and it's just too painful. I don't know if I did the right thing having kids because I dont want them to lose me. I don't want to lose another friend but I know it will take a miracle for that to happen. Sickle cell anaemia is a torturous life and sometimes it feels so unfair! I am so scared of the future and what is going to happen next.

4 Replies

I am so very sorry for your loss, you have my condolences. Sickle-cell anaemia is a very serious disease, I think because so many of us manage it so well that sometimes others and even ourselves forget that the disease can be fatal. But I don't think living in fear of the future is healthy or advisable. Everyday should be treated as a blessing, I'm not saying it's easy or that everyday is pain-free but it's another day that you've won and conquered your fear. I know what it means to lose someone to sickle-cell and it hurts like nothing else. So honour their memory, don't live in fear.

Hi @Anzy thanks for your reply. I do understand that worrying is heathly. Its just so painful seeing your other sickle cell fighters going. It just hurts so much. I try my best to be positive. I have to fight this fight for everyone around me and myself. Keeping well is my number one priority everyday. I am grateful for how far I have come. I am thankful for everyone around me who give me the strength to look forward to tomorrow.

Hey Keep Your Head Up. I Also have lost Many Friends to Sickle Cell and Yes Very Up Setting n Depressing.. Each Day You Wake is a Blessing. I Remember Back in the Early 80s When Doctors Used to Say 'People with Sickle cell disease Don't Live Past 30yrs n That Used to Have Me Living in Fear n Wanting to Do & Be So Many Things Growing Up But Hey I'm 43 This Yr n Give Thanks Every Day.

I was once told i wont live to 25. am over 54 now!

1 like

You may also like...