SHARE Breast Cancer Support
770 members359 posts

Itching Post-Mastectomy

I'm post bi-lateral mastectomy about 16mos. Sometimes I get the most severe itching on the right side of my chest. Also, I feel the zaps of pain & itching around different areas of my chest. I had implants removed. I experience numbness & tightness in my chest area. Dr's all say this is normal nerve healing process.

Anyone else exhibit these symptoms?

5 Replies
oldestnewest

It sounds very normal. I'm 4.5 years out and am still pretty numb. I also had the tissue expander removed. I'm very numb and tight still. Stretching my arm helps and also self-massage. Not so much with zaps of pain but it definitely itches sometimes too.

1 like

I am 15 years out and still get itching at times, though it is not as severe as it was in the beginning. I had a lumpectomy. I also have numbness that has never gone away. It is normal.

1 like

Your doctor's reply matches the explanation I was given when I had similar symptoms. The itching has abated quite a bit over the years, but I still get it from time to time--and I can't seem to scratch it away! It helps in my case to make sure my chest is well moisturized. That takes care of any dry-skin-related symptoms, leaving just the weird, unscratchable itch, which eventually goes away on its own.

I def had the itching. Thought it would drive me crazy at times. But it has gotten much better. Dr said it was nerve regeneration. I still have pretty much total numbness. I had a bilateral mastectomy. All the lymph nodes filled with cancer but 2. So they were all removed.

1 like

Yes, me too pretty much the same. Tightness may never go away. But am doing some P/T to relieve numbness & tightness. Massaging area, & stretching have helped. Still get these very painful little itch "pings" once in a while. My surgeon said same thing about nerve repair. I also have one area that is always itching.

Be that as it may, I'm doing alright post- surgery & chemo 2 yrs. Got my life back, albeit "breast-less."

You may also like...