Restless Legs Syndrome
10,669 members6,631 posts

New to this condition

Hi all

I am 50 this year and female I have had a few nights now which cause me to not be able to sleep due to the desire to keep moving my arms and sometimes my legs . Also when just about to start dreaming my legs would go off on their own so annoying and exhausting !

Today I had to turn up for a shift late as I hadn’t had enough sleep luckily everyone was understanding but still lost 3 hours wage !

I am trying to cut down on caffeine and no alcohol at all and hope this helps and taking 2x2 Kalm tablets to get me to sleep as I feel so wide awake once my legs start moving a lot !

Any advice please I don’t usually drink alcohol but have liked my energy drinks and coffee and I also have beginning of athritis in one knee

I am on Rampril blood pressure tablets

Love Liz x

14 Replies
oldestnewest

Ramipril is quite notorious for aggravating rls.

And as you've said - caffeine and alcohol are in there as well.

So you have a few strikes against you.

rls-uk.org

has a list of meds to avoid.

Print it out and take to your doctor. Another useful site is

rlshelp.org

Good luck.

2 likes

Oh thankyou yes I felt that something I had taken was causing this will do that straight away many thanks Liz x

1 like

i know how u feel lizzie , u might want too cut back on energy drinks , re alchohol think u can have a bit . for me coffee is a night mare . good luck

1 like

Yeah not going near energy drinks now thanks for messaging me x

Lizzie u are doing well ! keep at it ! I've stopped coffee ! my night better ! but at times very restless ! good luck ! x

1 like

yeah my nights have improved but I am still stretching, didnt have any caffiene yesterday and not really missing it which is good :)

I tried Kalms at one time. They seemed to make me sleep, but it wasn't a reinvigorating sleep, and in the morning I would feel almost as bad as if I hadn't slept at all. These days I use Valerian root extract (from a health shop). It's more subtle but I awake refreshed. As well as avoiding energy drinks, you may find that cutting out all such sweetened drinks may help.

Yeah thanks for the advice will give that a go as well i actually had nearly 8 hours sleep last night but had to have 4 Kalms before bed then woke up at 5:30am and took 2 more legs only made on jerk and that was once I got up going to get on a different blood pressure tablet but want to lose enough weight to not be on any tablets at all if possible I am off all canned drinks as well x

looked at the ingredients for Kalm tablets and they are valerian root :) I feel better using them and getting some sleep then having had no sleep x

good advice !

1 like

kalms are good ! by the way u need kalms night ! OK ? suoerdrug etc sell them ! rls us a thing u won't stop completely but all u are doing will help ! don't let it take over your life ! one more thing ! we are all here and suffering like u ! we help each other ! good luck ! x

2 likes

thanks for that I find that the night time ones dont work for some reason so that is why I just use the day ones this site is amazing ! x

oh OK ! daytime ones then ! yes this site is amazing ! when u are suffering ,we understand as we all know how bad rls can be ! by the way happy easter ! maybe tonight will be better ! I we can only hope ! x

Thanks yes last night was the first time I wasn’t stretching my muscles so feel a bit more rested today :)

You may also like...