What works for me:
1. 500mg of magnesium 6 hours before bedtime (if I take it later I usually have RLS after 3-4 hours)
2. 24mg of codeine just before bedtime
3. 1.3 miles of walking at 4 mph on the treadmill just before bedtime
4. A folded bath towel under the bottom 18 inches of my bed sheet prevents hot feet (this seems crazy but it works for me)
5. After about 7 weeks the codeine benefits start to decline, so I go off codeine for 7-8 days and then efficacy returns.
6. This may be irrelevant, but I also walk about 8-9 miles per day, mostly inside my house. When I sit on a couch or go to a movie, I sometimes have RLS, but other than the movies or driving a car I seldom sit for more than 30 minutes. Leaving aside RLS, sitting when you could be standing or better yet walking is a dumb idea. It is better for your brain and your body and your weight control to be moving. People sometimes look at me strangely wondering why I am walking while they stand or sit. I look back at them and wonder why they want to be stupid and have poor health and eventual obesity.
7. This may be irrelevant, but I also do 35 deep knee bends before bedtime.
8. This may be irrelevant, but I also go up and down the staircase 4 times just before bedtime.
Other than that, I am reasonably normal....
This has worked perfectly for the last 6 days, meaning that I sleep between 8-9 hours with no restless legs ever.