Restless Legs Syndrome
9,928 members6,107 posts

Heat and RLS

Hi, I have just joined the community, I didn't know you existed. Do people find that their RLS is worse in the summer when it's hot. I stretch my calf muscles out in the evening and I take Amitriptyline at night to help most of the time it helps. I would love some advice on how to stop the heat getting to my legs so I can just have a few good nights sleep. Thank you.

8 Replies
oldestnewest

Using a fan might cool things down?

Spraying fine water mist also could work?

Most people find Amitriptoline makes the rls worse.

2 likes

Thanks, Madlegs1

Hi cyclinglady. Welcome to our awesome sight. Glad you are here. I have had RLS for 15-20 years (it has been so long I can't remember) and have honestly not found a difference between Summer, Spring, Winter or Fall...they are all bad!!! Please keep us apprised of what you find out from others. You are in the right place :)

Thank you Lbf2016 I think it's because I a waking up with the heat as you know when you awake you feel your legs. I also have had RLS for as long as I can remember. Very occasionally it will effect my arms as well.

Yes, heat or temperature has always made my symptoms worse. Things were exceptionally bad while living in a desert region and when I drove a bus that had no air conditioning there. Cooling down helped reduce the sensations. Sometimes I felt like a blow torch was on my feet and legs. I now live in a coastal climate. Ice packs help, off and on.

Thank you RunswithPonies that is a very interesting idea.

I ordered ice sheets. I've had RLS for many years. For a time, stretches did the trick, then needed to add a bottom satin sheet (cooler). After several months, I ordered 2 flat ice sheets. When I have my nightly attack I get one, put in a pillow case and lay on stomach. I can sleep with it.

Eventually, I got worse and needed to walk, pace for 15 to 30 minutes during the night. I use a combo. But, the 1 consistency: if I get off the computer 4 or more hours before I sleep, I have little problem. And, if i'm away from the computer for at least 8 hours, I have a great night sleep.

Thank you BoldMove, my legs are worse if I am on the computer in the evening I do my knitting in the evening. I am also finding stretches are not woring as well an I am hurting other bits of my body now trying to stretch out. I also find if I am have an attack and stretching that seems to help. I will have a look in to ice sheets as I think they might be the solution.

You may also like...