Iron

Well, I heard from my Hopkins doctor this afternoon about the iron infusion I had on March 10. I had thought it would be working as soon as I got it but I was wrong. He said it takes about 6 weeks to see an improvement in symptoms. I also told him I was up til the wee hours of the morning and he said not to go to bed until I really am sleepy. I was trying to go to bed at 11:30 but I really wasn't sleepy enough to go to sleep and I was laying in the bed waiting and that was a signal to my legs to start moving.. He changed my gabapentin to taking all 900 mg. at about 9:00 pm, going to bed at midnight and getting up in the morning at a certain time every day so I can reestablish a good sleep regimen and pattern. He said that the 900 mg. gabapentin should carry me through 12 hours if I don't get in bed and just lay there. I am also attaching an article I found in Hopkins web site in my next post.

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I don't think doctors get it about sleep. It doesn't make any difference with me what time I go to bed. It is after about an hour lying in bed that the RLS starts up, whether I went to bed at 8.00. p.m., 11.00 p.m. or whatever. Whether I am sleepy or not makes no difference. I can even doze off and then wake up with it later.

I hope the iron works for you, hang in there!

• For us poor RLSers, we cant get that routine that easily, we have to either sleep when our RLS lets us or pace when it doesnt let us sleep. I hope you feel some benefit from the infusion sooner rather than later.

• It's very weird, but it's not the RLS keeping me up at night; have no idea what is.

• I find that too quite often.

Usually trace it back to coffee , chocolate , ice cream (sugar and sweeteners) and plenty of other guilty pleasures!

Tramadol , oxycontin and vit D also give me serious insomnia. Generally these last ones decline in severity over time ( weeks and months rather than days 😢)

Something in your intake is causing this.

😓

• That's a lot of stuff to contend with! I don't take any painkillers but I do take Vitamin D in the morning.

Try not to have sugar stuff in the evening. Guilty of drinking about 2 cups of coffee during the day.

• There ye are so!

You may also like...