So just to report back if anyone is interested, I did the ‘big mopping up’ experiment and it went well.
I was down to 6 mg and flagging a bit so on Thursday 6th I upped my dose to 11mg and tapered fast by 1mg a day back to 6mg on Tuesday 11th (6 days altogether) and I’ve been back on 6mg since then (7 days).
I also cut out the goats milk (the only other dairy I have is a very little grass-fed butter - Kerrygold!) and the sprouted wheat bread (I haven't eaten any other grains since March) in case they were messing things up. Incidentally, I heard just this week from a source I trust that the most recent research points to grains as the food group most involved in inflammatory conditions like PMR.
Now it’s Monday 17th and I feel a LOT better than I did before the big mop up!
Still waiting for the adrenals to shine and fingers Xd that 6mg is enough for now.
I'll also do a very gradual and measured reintroduction of the goats milk now and then the sprouted grain bread, separately, to see what happens with those.
Time will tell...