What can I do about a ravenous appetite?

Thank you everyone for the help and advise you give on these posts. Until now I have read and learned, but I would like some help. Since I have been on Prednisolone (I started on 20mg and am now on 8mg) I have developed a ravenous appetite particularly in the later part of the day. Although I have been assured that my adrenal glands will start taking over from Prednisolone once I am below 10mg, I truly can't see any evidence of it. I have put on about 2 stone plus, and and I know that this appetite is not 'normal' as I don't normally over-eat especially in the summer. If you have experience of this or have some advice, I would love to hear from you

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Pred changes the way your body processes carbohydrate - and that very often leads to fat deposits around waist, back of the neck and on your face, the typical pred effects.

Many of us on the forums have found that cutting carbs drastically has let us lose weight (I lost 36 lbs) or not put it on in the first place. It also helps with the cravings - you reduce the swings in blood sugar level and insulin production that is what leads to them. Be careful - you need to cut the processed carbs altogether really but there are carbs in places you didn't know and eating too much in the way of fruit or root veg will keep your carb level too high to lose weight. As soon as I eat more than a very low level I don't lose weight - just be warned if you decide to try it.

• thank you will keep this in mind. Newly diagnosed PMR.. Have eaten fruit every day for years . Would be hard to cut it or I'm sure but am learning something new every day...

• This might be of some help:

healthunlocked.com/pmrgcauk...

• THANK YOU CloudGazer6. A wealth of information. Much appreciated

• Keep a cucumber (wrapped in foil in the fridge) when you feel the pangs, cut one inch and eat it.

• Thank you Sambucca. I'll give this a try

• Hello 43tripandskip. This is the first post I have read, in which someone, like you, speaks about the appetite that comes with Pred. 10 years ago, I developed GCA. The Pred. made me put on 3 stone in 3 weeks! I say made because I was so hungry. No matter what time I had my evening meal, I was hungry at bed-time, and I remember getting up, after going to bed, and cooking pasta, to fill me up! Yes, steroids can make you do daft things. I had almost instant moon-face. I was on about 80mg Pred at that time. Last year, through very traumatic circumstances, I lost 3 stone. I am, now, on 3mg Pred, and my weight is constant. Hang in there. IF I remember correctly, the weight does reduce when Pred. reduced.

Karools16

• Thank you Karools16. You've given me hope!

• Thats what i was dreading also , the weight gain. I had joined a slim class before diagnosed PMR 6 weeks ago. I too , especially at night get so hungry . I go for the fruit covered with plain or fruit fat free yogurts. I'm 2 stone down.. No class ? I would be going for some toast and meat , a few choc biscuits or anything i have nice in fridge......

• I received help on this site and it was all extremely useful. The best advice was to keep to proteins and calcium products, but to avoid carbohydrates. So the fruit is not so good for you. I hope PMRpro doesn't mind, but I've copied her reply to me. I found it useful:

"Pred changes the way your body processes carbohydrate - and that very often leads to fat deposits around waist, back of the neck and on your face, the typical pred effects.

Many of us on the forums have found that cutting carbs drastically has let us lose weight (I lost 36 lbs) or not put it on in the first place. It also helps with the cravings - you reduce the swings in blood sugar level and insulin production that is what leads to them. Be careful - you need to cut the processed carbs altogether really but there are carbs in places you didn't know and eating too much in the way of fruit or root veg will keep your carb level too high to lose weight. As soon as I eat more than a very low level I don't lose weight - just be warned if you decide to try it."

I was also recommended this site: healthunlocked.com/pmrgcauk...

I hope this gives you some help

• I never mind!

• My son took some of the glut of green beans our respective gardens have produced, lightly cooked them and created a bit of a marinade, not sure what was in it, put these beans upright in a glass with some of the marinade in the bottom and served as part of the array of snack foods presented before dinner last night.

You may also like...