Why is it taking so long to see an improvement after b12 injections

Hello everyone I had my loading dose of 6 injections after about the 4 injection I started to improve but it did not last. Dr put me onto the tablet form which had no effect. I had another injection tuesday which is 3 months after loading dose does anyone know how long it will be before inproving I am exhausted, palpitations, can not think straight and it is changing me I am so irritable all the time.

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Have you had folate levels and vitamin D and ferritin levels checked?

What about thyroid tests?

Are you taking a vitamin B complex as well as having shots?

• I have no idea I had other tests but not sure what they were.

No other medication has been prescribed.

• Oh dear claire751 I know it will be no consolation to you but it is not unknown for symptoms to seem to get worse before they get better as the damage done to your nerves is slowly being repaired by the B12.

However, having said that, did you still have bad symptoms at the end of the loading doses? If so your doctor should have continued them until as the BNF recommend until there is no further improvement.

What was your diagnosis - B12 Deficiency or P.A?

I'm not medically qualified but I recommend you go back to your GP and demand a resumption of injections per the guidelines

(ADVICE ON FREQUENCY OF INJECTIONS)

Ideally you should be receiving more frequent injections as the BNF guidelines say below of treatment with Hydroxocobalamin:-

By intramuscular injection, pernicious anaemia and other macrocytic anaemias without neurological involvement, initially 1 mg 3 times a week for 2 weeks then 1 mg every 3 months

Pernicious anaemia and other macrocytic anaemias with neurological involvement, initially 1 mg on alternate days until no further improvement, then 1 mg every 2 months.

That is the regime your doctor should be prescribing for you.

You may also like...