Pernicious Anaemia Society
14,259 members10,213 posts

Good source of potassium

I'm always looking for ways to boost my potassium intake (bananas, coconut water, lo salt etc) and have just discovered Minvita baobab suprefruit powder. 

I got a free sample sachet in the May 2016 healthy magazine (from Holland & Barrett) and googled it as I'd never heard of it before. Minvita's website says that a desert spoon contains 3,000mcg of potassium which is 150% of RI. Thought I'd pass this on and hope it's ok to mention brand names. 

6 Replies
oldestnewest

Oh yes thank you! I struggle to keep my potassium up. I know my local health food store has baobab powder. I've heard of maca powder too, which might have potassium.

You could also try LoSalt, available from Co-op stores. 

1 like

I eat dates!

1 like

Hmmm, some error in the units or the claims.

3,000 mcg is 3 mg - or less than one-thousandth of the RDI of 3,500 mg. Even if it were 3,000 mg, that's still only 85% of the RDI or 3,500 mg nhs.uk/Conditions/vitamins-...

One portion of chips (or fries in the US), spinkled with one sachet of Lo-Salt supplies about 1,400 mg of potassium (about the same as 25 dates or 4 bananas). I like this kind of health food. Add a portion of mussels (150g - 400 mg of K) and a glass of beer (100 mg), followed by a chocolate brownie (180 mg K) and you've got a yummy Belgian meal that contains 60% of your RDI.

4 likes

You are too funny! Sounds like a great meal. :-)

1 like

I love reading your posts fbirder, you're very informative.  Thank you for your knowledge and information. 

You may also like...