Hello and Happy New Year!
"“If all healthcare professionals in the field of pain did one hour of education for one day in just one year, in terms of the number of people that would be reached it would make a very significant difference."
This month's Airing Pain is on the International Association for the Study of Pain 2018 Global Year for Excellence in Pain Education & the North Bristol Pain Management Programme.
Programme link: audioboom.com/posts/6577590...
The International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP), formed in 1973, is the leading forum of scientists, clinicians, healthcare providers and policy makers supporting and promoting the study of pain and using that knowledge to improve pain relief worldwide.
Each year IASP focuses on a different aspect of pain that has global relevance. In 2017, IASP focused on pain after surgery, and joint pain was the focus of 2016. In this programme, Paul Evans speaks to Dr Paul Wilkinson, task force lead for the 2018 Global Year for Excellence in Pain Education.
IASP hopes to advance the understanding of pain in the areas of government, professional and research education and ultimately create strategy to communicate the gaps in pain education globally.
Paul also speaks to clinical psychologist Dr Nicholas Ambler, patient trainer Lisa Parry and assistant psychologist Sareeta Vyas at the Bristol Pain Management Programme to find out if there is a correlation between investment in pain management research and development and patient benefit.
- Dr Paul Wilkinson, Director of pain management services in Newcastle and lead of IASP 2018 international task force
- Dr Nicholas Ambler, Clinical Psychologist and lead of NHS North Bristol Pain Management Programme
- Lisa Parry, patient and patient trainer at NHS North Bristol PMP
- Sareeta Vyas, Assistant Psychologist and leader of sleep management programme at NHS North Bristol PMP
For more information on IASP, please visit:
- International Association for the Study of Pain website iasp-pain.org/index.aspx
- IASP’s 2018 Global Year of Excellence in Pain Education iasp-pain.org/Membership/SI...
For more information on NHS North Bristol Pain Management Programme: nbt.nhs.uk/clinicians/servi...