Some of you my remember that since February this year I have been on the LOGS trial for recurrent low grade serous ovarian cancer. I was at the hospital on Wednesday as soon as the blood room opened as had a couple of appointments to get to.
An hour later I am still waiting to be called through I am not very good at this bit......waiting. Eventually it's my turn although I can never work out their system as the numbers never seem to go in the order they were given out.
They have trouble accessing the veins in my arms and also my port so I get sent upstairs to another unit. Whilst waiting for the lift my name gets called out to go through to clinic. I walk over to the nurse and explain re bloods and have to go to get ultrasound so arrange to let her know when I am back.
Bloods get sorted and I go to the ultrasound unit and hang around for another hour for ultrasound of chest to confirm yes have pleural effusions and the one on the right is bigger than the one on the left.
Back over to clinic to let nurse know I am back then more waiting until a room becomes free. We discuss my latest CT Scan and I ask for a copy of the report as I like to digest the contents in my own time.
It's a bit of a mixed bag but better than I was expecting. My CA125 has been rising and this is reflected in my latest scan in there are some early signs of new disease but they are quite small. Otherwise marker sites were still stable and any changes were still within the 20% tolerances of the study. My pleural effusions have been upgraded from small to moderate which was disappointing.
We talked about my lung function tests and my breathing is restricted i.e. not fully able to expand chest but its not inferring with my overall lung function. We discussed a referral to a lung specialist my consultant did not think this would be helpful and I disagreed with him stating my reasons for wanting the referral. I want to be sure that the trial drug hasn't caused any permanent damage to my lungs and its safe to carry on. We did discuss a possible lung drain, which took me by surprise as I had been told this wasn't safe as effusion was too small. This is a painful procedure so would be a last resort and I think I would want to wait a bit longer.
So for now I am still on the drug trial.