I would really appreciate some opinions. My husband was diagnosed in March with Esophageal Cancer, T3, N0, M0. He will start Chemotherapy and Radiation this week. I have been reading many of the posts on this site and are questioning if the surgery is really necessary. The surgery itself seems like a nightmare, the recuperation long and painful. The side effects, diarrhea, vomiting, painful gas, dizziness and not being able to eat. At what point does one return to normal? Does one's lifestyle completely have to change? I'm concerned as my husband has always been very active and I'm honestly wondering how he's going to deal with all of this. What is dumping? Is a feeding tube necessary or just in some cases? I know I could ask the Surgeon all of these questions but I would love to hear from those who have experienced this. I do understand that, without the surgery, there is a 40% chance of the Cancer returning and a 60% chance it may not. I have also read of cases where even after surgery the Cancer has returned. So what say all of you.