Abatacept

I am wondering if anyone knows anything about this biologic drug for R/A. I am on rituximab at the moment and not doing too well. I have been told the next drug they will try will be Tocilizumab but after reading about the drugs on the internet i came across one called ABATACEPT that is supposed to be as effective as the others but with a lot less side effects but no one has mentioned this one to me. I would be interested to hear of anyone that is on this drug and if it is available to everyone. millie x

4 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello Mille

Sorry that you are not doing well and that Ritux is not helping you.

If you type "NICE Abatacept" into Google, you will find the relevant guidance - from my quick look, it seems that NICE has made a decision that Abatacept is not cost effective for prescribing on the NHS - whch is probably why it hasn't been mentioned to you.

Really hope that, if you do move to Tocilizumab, it will work for you.

Tillyx

• Thank you for your reply Tilly, it is much appreciated. I had a read at it and looks like you are right. hope you are well. x

• I also read on the NICE guidelines recommendations not to prescribe it because it causes an increased risk of Lymphoma as well.

• I have been on Abatacept for 10 weeks now, so it is being prescribed. I Have had less flares in my fingers since on it, and have not had any bad side effects

You may also like...