Saw my rheumatologist on thursday as current meds (lefluomide, hydroxy) not working too well. Been pondering about starting enbrel after being given the go ahead a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, make your mind up time arrived on thursday and I decided not to go ahead with enbrel. Instead my rheumatologist decided to put me back on mtx, which I was previously taking to good effect for 9 years. Latest recipe... 10mg lefluomide, 10mg mtx and 300mg hydroxy. To cut a long story short, mtx was stopped by a different rheumatologist a year or so ago because I developed a bladder condition and was hospitalised with a stubborn UTI, and was put on lefluomide after I recovered. One of the reasons that swayed me away from enbrel was apparently, my urologist would not commit himself either way if it was wise for me to start taking an antiTNF drug... I'm concerned about the higher cancer risk even though my rheumatologist is, perhaps more sensibly, more concerned about the risks from my recurring UTIs. She said there's no proven cancer link with enbrel after 15 years of use.
Must say this was a very difficult decision for me and still I still have serious doubts that I've made the right choice, time will tell I suppose. One good thing is that if current meds don't work out I still have the option of starting enbrel without going through the long painful process of being reassessed.