How long does Humira take to kick in?

I was taken off MTX 8 weeks ago because my Crohns is playing up, I am now taking 40 mg of Humira every two weeks. I have had two injections so far. It is helping my Crohns but for the first time in ages my RA is playing up, swollen knuckles and really painful feet. I have spoken to both consultants who want me to stay on just Humira for at least another month before they make a decision what to do if my RA is getting worse. So I just wondered if anyone has changed from MTX to Humira and how long it took for it to work. I know it can take a while just after any comments. Not sure I want to take both as that will really mess my my immune system up even more

Last edited by

7 Replies

• Hello, I'm not on Humira any more but when I did start it it started to work for me almost right away. I was nearly pain free after about I between my first and second injection. So that was within two weeks. Unfortunately I had to stop as I had projectile vomiting. I was really upset when I had to come off it because it worked so well for me.

I was on MTX too and taken off it to go on Humira. I'm really sorry your not doing very well on it. Do what the docs say......give it a go for a while longer, it is a really great drug. Having said that we know that this is a very insidious disease and no two patients are the same. I am now on Abatacept and it is working really well for me.

I hope you get sorted out soon. Please come back and let us know how you are getting on. All the best. Jean XX

• Hi there

I've been on it since march it has started to worked but took 3 months. I did have a break of 4 weeks due to chest and sinus infection. I am on another continuous trial 2 weekly injections plus a reduced dose of metho trexate (10mgs) I was on (20mgs) injection form but too many side effects to continue.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

• I am just about to take my 4th injection of humira this morning. It started between the 1st and 2nd injection for me. Im not in pain unless I do too much. Im much more mobile now and some sore areas look better but I still have swollen knees although they have gone down by 1/2". Im also on lefunamide but Im really hoping I can stop that, I shall find that out when I see the consultant on 3rd Dec

• thanks for all your replies I will carry on for another month and then see what happens with the swelling and joint pain

• I wasn't able to take mtx i had two injections of humira i feel some difference my blood is perfect

And i have less pain

• Before humira it was so hard to get out of bed

• Hi There I have had Crohns for 30 years and now Churg strauss . Whilsy with crohns I followed the Specials and Surgeons advice and meds and thats 3

hours of surgery and lost all large bowel and small up to the illium , when i was hit again by that rotten disease a friend put a bottle of aloe vera made by forever living in the states , I was in a bad way I had a 12 months old son who was walking towards a main road and i was in so much pain i was crawling with all my will to get him , thankfully someone grabbed him and that saved him but 50 meters up the road was home I started swolling the juice in large amounts and within 10 days I was fine and that was 1986 . I say keep following Doctors orders and swollow as much of aloe vera as you can , I know of 10 people with exactly the same outcome.It is an internal anti infamatory 1000s of years old and what do you put on burns aloe vera ie sunburn , give it a go . I do believe a cure is due out in 2 years I am now fighting this CSS and it has a complete mind of its own and its a horror . All the best

You may also like...