33 y/o, Female.
I’d like to share my experience and the information I received from my Nephrologist today and apparently he’s one of the best in L.A. I’m hoping that you might find this useful.
eGFR is 52 from 59 last March. I was asked to do a renal scan flow and it showed that my REAL GFR is at 35. It was scary but talking to him calmed me down and made me understand the whole situations. Doctor said I can live for many years even without dialysis if I keep myself healthy. He recommended the following for now and ordered more labs to make sure all labs are in line:
1. Keep Blood Pressure to 120/80
- I’ll be keeping a log for a week to check if my BP is controlled. If not, I need a second medication. Uncontrolled BP will totally destroy my kidneys in 6 months.
2. Check weight every day or every other day
- this will tell me if I’m retaining water (anything more than 2 lbs is bad). He also checked my legs and lower back - negative
3. Low salt diet 🥡
- 24 hr urine will tell you if you consume a lot of salt among other things. Maybe once in a year visit in Chinatown or never (?) 🤔🤷♀️
4. Avoid pain meds 💊
- any medication you take, always ask if it’ll affect your kidneys
I can get pregnant but I’ll loose my kidneys so he recommended doing surrogate/adoption which I’m already leaning towards to. He also mentioned that I can still eat everything and still do the normal as long as I keep in mind the things he said.
I’ve been battling this for years but did not get the proper diagnosis. This is the first time that I was told that I have Interstitial Nephritis. Inflammation happens when blood pressure is uncontrolled.