Misplaced calories

Hello all, I hope you're all having a great week.

I have become convinced of the wisdom in needing the right number of "more calories" in order to make sure that I'm losing. The number I've come up with has been serving me well, and I'm occasionally re-calculating to make sure I adjust it as I lose.

The question is, I read in one of the linked newbie-articles that helped me to understand this, that if you go over one day, you need to eat less the next day to make up for it. Is this wise?

Similarly, if I eat significantly under, say maybe by 200 calories, can I go over the next day?

Does anyone have any knowledge or insight into this?

Thanks!

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

7 Replies

oldestnewest
  • I'd be interested to know the answer to this question too

• I think everyone has to find what works best for them. Personally I treat each day as a new start. If I've gone over the previous day, so be it. I don't want to become obsessive about the calories I'm consuming so I put it behind me and start the next day with a clean sheet. I'm sure you will soon find what works for you. Good luck 🙂

• I'm with you wa2un7 - totally agree. 👌🏻

• I do the same. I have tried a couple of times in the past to adjust the next day for overeating, but I find that just makes me feel deprived and overeat the next day too.

• That's a good point about trying to eat to make up for a previous day's mistakes. It's not setting you up for success in any way, really. I'll learn from your experience!

• Hi traisee

I find the best way is to start each day is afresh with the same amount of calories. I don't save or add to another day. Using this way I have lost just over 5st so it must be working! Everyone is different so it really is what works best for you. It is easier to track if your working with the same amount every day and stops you getting use to eating more for example saving them up for over the weekend.

• It looks like consensus is to carry on the way I am - treating each day as its own. That's good psychologically too, I think. I was just wondering because as I've had various kitchen disasters I'm not necessarily eating what I planned to, and I have a few times got to the end of a day with 200 calories left. (We have had a number of kitchen disasters, believe me!) So I eat a small handful of almonds (96 calories) but then I just want to go to bed, and I wondered if it would catch up with me as if I'd not been eating enough, like the problem I had before. So if it's worked for you all, and especially @yellowrose55 - that's amazing loss - then I'll take your advice, and keep my fingers crossed I can keep the kitchen intact now!

You may also like...