Sugar Knockout Challenge

Hello everyone, I'm a recovering sugar addict. I haven't had any obvious sugar in over 2 weeks and I'm feeling really good, almost like a different person. I've researched a lot about Sugar Addiction, Sweet Tooth etc but I couldn't find an awful lot about it.

So I thought I'll ask here if anyone would like to join me this months to

1) quit or reduce your sugar intake

2) learn more about sugar and what it does to our body and mind and

3) stay off the damn stuff for good

I'll let you know what I did find out so far.... i.e. 7 steps to recovery etc but it will be your choice to follow them or not.

I'm 'online' about 3 times a day to chat with you, so if you don't get a reply straight away I will answer your posts as soon as I can.

Also, as this is my first challenge I think I'll need a bit of help pinning the thread etc.

Very much appreciated. Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Elke :-) :-)

Skip

Featured Content

Join the NHS Weight Loss Plan

Join over 40,000 others on our 12-week diet and exercise plan. Keep motivated to develop healthier eating habits & get more active.

Get Started!

Featured by HealthUnlocked

57 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi, I also stopped having sugar,

It's not as hard as I thought (although I did have a blip about 5 weeks in for 2 weeks and felt terrible)

Your right it's amazing how different you feel especially when you start learning about sugar and the effects of it on your health not just how you feel .

Trying to get the kids off it now 😀

Enjoy your day 🙂

• Hi clover, same here, before I stopped I thought I wouldn't be able to do it, but when I did stop it wasn't that bad.

Good going clover :-) thanks for the reply.

• Fabulous book to read called The Truth about Sugar, you might find some interesting research in there. Also The obesity code, really highlights the damage that sugar has done to us.

Happy reading and long may you stay off sugar.

• Thank you Ceals for the recommendations. I will have a look at those. :-)

• I too am addicted to sugar. I've previously suggested to others that it is like a drug. I seek sugar wherever I am and I only feel at ease once I have had it. I'd love to join you to controlling my sugar intake. Previously I have given up sugar for about 2 months and go cold turkey, but then when I relax about it I just go back to my normal way of eating sugar. Can I join you?

• Hi Hlb82, great to hear from you. Congrats for quitting sugar for 2 months, that in itself is a great achievement. It great that you want to join me and knock the sugar addiction on the head. I'll be in touch this evening to make a few suggestions on how to get it started.

• Thank you Elke516. I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts and suggestions x

• I just have one question? When u say u quit sugar do u mean all sugar like fruit for example? Interested to see a daily meal plan to show what sorts of things u eat?

• Hi Sarah, I cut out all obvious sugar, i.e. all sugary snacks etc...no more binging on sweets etc. I'm also cutting out as many simple carbs as I can and try to eat more complex carbs as this has an influence on the blood sugar level. I changed my planned snacks from fruit to vegetables. First I thought I wouldn't enjoy that but my taste buds must have changed because I like it. I still eat fruit but try to choose the low sugar once, for example I changed red apples to green apples.

For me personally I'm treating it like quitting smoking. As long as I don't stick another sugary sweet in my mouth I'm ok.

There are cook books for sugar free cooking available but I haven't looked at those yet as I don't really cook that much.

Hope this helps Sarah, thanks for writing :-) :-)

• Hello Elke516 and thank you for running this challenge. 😊

I am lucky in that I don't have an especially sweet tooth, I would always choose savoury over cake, however there have been a couple of things I have found useful. Firstly, getting too hungry or tired leads to sugar cravings, especially mid to late afternoon. I get around this by eating a substantial lunch, and then I come in here at my danger time of 4-5 ish 😊 It impossible to eat whilst typing!! Lol 😂

The second thing I have done is give up all artificially sweetened carbonated drinks. I don't hold with them being especially bad for you, but I found they made me want sweet things. The belief is that when we drink sweet tasting things, our brain expects a sugar boost, and when it doesn't arrive it starts off the cravings. This was a BIG deal for me, a real struggle, but I have been Diet Coke free for over a year and feel sure it has helped. My taste buds have really changed, everything tastes so sweet, I cannot take cake with buttercream or frosting, and fruit tastes delicious. I also find if do have something sweet on special occasions, the smallest amount satisfies. 😊

I am now an avid label reader, and was shocked and somewhat horrified at how much extra sugar is in things, even things we believe to be 'healthy' such as flapjack, fruit juice and breakfast cereal.

This is not an easy road, our brains are 'hot wired' to crave calorie dense sugary foods when we are tired, stressed, anxious or ill. But having the knowledge really helps. I have read lots and still have lots to learn, but from what I understand, eating sugary things upsets our hormonal balance, the hunger and satiety hormones as well as insulin, and this then creates further cravings. Giving up or at least reducing our overall sugar consumption will give massive boost to our health and weight.

Good luck everyone 😊

Anna

• Great advice Anna61

• Thank you very much for the great tips Anna :-)

• MrsEmilyWoodMalloy

This explains how I feel about Diet Coke and my own personal battle to give it up 😊

• Hi Elke,

I'll support you with this. I'm type 2 diabetic, but I know it's the carbs that I need to keep a careful eye on, but the sugar us a little blighter too, lol.

Happy to listen to and encourage others. So fire away x 😊

• Hi quirkybee, thank you for your support. During my research about sugar addiction most of the information I'v found about sugar was on Diabetic sites, so thank you for supporting us.

• Hi everyone,

I have been following my sweet sober challenge since the second week of November when I couldn't take the constant craving/ face stuffing/ sugar hangover circle anymore. I really felt like an alcoholic but with sweets which is why I called it sweet sober.

At first it was just supposed to be a break until the end of November but when I realised that I wanted to keep going I made a simple rule to help me in the long run: "No Sweets In England!". This means that although I am in the habit of abstaining from chocolate, sweets, cake, ice cream etc on a daily basis, trips abroad are planned exceptions where anything is allowed. I am currently on a 72 day streak and have not had sweets on 197 out of 208 days. My next trip abroad is planned for September. Maybe by then I won't want to make an exception at all.

Good luck to everyone :)

Tanja

• Wow, HealthyTanja, your stats are very impressive and very motivating. I'm feeling exactly the same...like an alcoholic but with sweets and I'm sooo tired of it.

Thank you for sharing :-)

• Hi, unfortunately I had very sad news last night and I'm on my way home to Germany now. not sure when I'll be back. I'm so sorry but everything is on hold for the moment. Take good care.

• Alles Gute Elke. Hope to see you again soon!

• Thank you for your wishes Tanja :-)

• sorry to hear that. Thinking of you x

• Thank you Hlb82, much appreciated.

• Great challenge Elke516. I struggle with sugary stuff - tea with sugar and occasional sweets and chocolates. I really appreciate help to finally let go off sugar!

• Great to have you with us matets. We can all support each other.... I know I need lots of it :-) Thank you.

• Great posts Elke. I would like to join too as I really struggle with sweets, biscuits etc.

Hope your trip home wasn't too sad. Look forward to hearing from you when your ready.

• I feel like it's a constant cycle. I've just finished my tea and now all I can think about is what treats i can eat. It's an obsessive thought! Hope you are feeling strong against the sugar!

• Thank you ractrac01, together we can do this! :-)

• Hello Elke.

I would love to join you on this journey. I'm a true sugar addict, I'm terrible. My weight has shot up unbelievably high, (weighing in morning) I've got to kick it, Im doing my health no good at all.

Will check in tomorrow.

Claire

• I think if I could kick the sugar addiction and keep treats as treats then I'd stand a good chance of loosing weight. I've even twisted my diet around and had lots of dried fruits to get my sugar rush, because it's fruit right? (No-I still didn't loose any weight). So today my daughter had made jam tarts and I have just sat and watched the family eat them. I'm trying my hardest to keep treats for special occasions. It's my birthday in 3 weeks. I'm aiming to have cake for my birthday and not before. I'm currently on day one of this challenge, I agreed to join a few days ago, but I gave in to my cravings. Got a few hours left of today to have accomplished day one. Hope you are having a good day x

• Birthday cake hmmmm, something to look forward to, for sure :-) :-)

• Hi Claire, thank you for joining, apologies for the late reply, I was away to see my family.

• I would love to join, too, I don't feel overly optimistic about my chances!!! but i've managed short stints in the past... and even a small bit of 'recalibrating' would be good, I know, so hopefully this might spur me on. Have followed the post, and it's good to hear from other people who find this a challenge!

• I'm hoping that if we can do this together and spur each other on then we can be stronger. Good luck to you x

• Hello Leman, great to have you with us. I'm exactly the same, managing short stints etc but the important thing is that we don't give up until we find a way for us personally to balance it all. We can do it, together :-)

• I'd like to join that challenge because sugar is one of the most dangerous substances we eat. I started eating better in January I stopped having added sugar in most things. I didn't miss it. The last week I have had the flu with a cough and I have gone back to the sugar in my tea. It taste like poison without. Diet drinks taste horrible as well. I probably will find it harder to stop the sugar this time but as soon as I get my taste buds back to normal I will stop.

I am reading michael Mosley,s the clever gut diet. Their is a lot of useful information about sugar in it.

• Hi suige, nice to meet you. I'm looking at a few books at the moment and find that it's a good thing to pick-out for works for me. Funny that we're probably all experts on sugar but we still find it hard to stop eating it. I agree with you, it's like poison :-)

• Hi there. I would like to get off the sugar as well. I had problems with it all my life and I deserve to do it to become a heathier person. I owe it to myself to do this.

• Hey Wadestreet, great to hear from you, so glad you're joining too... hope all is well with you :-)

• Hello everyone, I'm back and pleased to say that mum is on the mend and will make a full recovery. Bliss!

My diet and sugar abstinence went out of the window sometime last week so I'm getting back in the driver seat now steering the the right direction again.

I'm over the moon with your replies on this thread, thank you so very much for your thoughts and support.

To get straight back into the groove and to have some accountability I'm setting the challenge to

100 Days Sugar Free

Sugar Free for me means no obvious sugar, such as chocolate, cream or a combination of both, no sweets, sugar laden yogurts etc. As I eat processed food I'm bound to eat sugar that way and will aim to keep it under 10 g/day.

For me personally it's cold turkey but that's just me....

As we are all individuals please feel free to set you own goals. We can share results daily or weekly, or if you don't want to share that's fine too.

Helpful steps I will take...

- Eat breakfast with some protein, within one hour of getting up, every day, no matter what.

- Journal what I eat and how I feel, every day, no matter what.

- Eat three meals with some protein and complex carbs every day.

- Have enough protein for my body weight each day. (Below is a calculation I found online)

"Calculating the amount of protein takes a little bit of work. Take your weight in pounds and multiply it by .5 [note the decimal point] to get the number of grams of protein you will have for the day. Have 1/3 of that for breakfast.

Remember that the grams of food is not the same as the grams of protein in the food.

If you weigh more than 200 pounds, simply use 200 as your weight. If you weigh less than 120, use 120 pounds as your weight. If you are pregnant, nursing, a teenager or you exercise a lot, you may need more protein. Simply start with this calculation though."

Keeping a journal like this will be a challenge for me, so my first mini challenge is to keep it for a whole week without any gaps.

Looking forward to hearing from you :-)

• Great news about your mum. She will be well. Loving the 100days challenge. Thanks Elke516 for starting the challenge and keeping us accountable!

#100days Sugar challenge!

• Hello everyone, I've had a very exciting and busy day. I've got a verbal agreement from my very first client and will start work on Monday. I'm so excited, the client is in Germany not to far from where my mum is. It looks like I will need to travel there once a month and the rest of it working from home. So that means I'll get to see my mum much more. Brilliant!

The Adrenalin is running high and funny enough I don't have a sugar graving... food for thought here... perhaps that's what I need.... more excitement in my life... now where is my other half LOL.

Please let me know how you're getting on, looking forward to hearing from you. :-)

• Hi. I decided to keep my dessert at lunch time and through away the other sugary items to the curb!!! I am akay until 3:00pm the sweet tooth comes out with the fangs. My eating day is 3 meals plus a night time snack. Because in between it could lead to a binge of fairy tale sugar plums. I could use your help!!!!

• It;s helpful to recognise that all carbohydrate is sugar to our bodies. The quality and amount we have is important. If we have the kind that is slowly released it will help replenish our reserves of glycogen (which are our stores of starch, used for blood glucose). This prevents the highs and lows that contribute to craving sugar.

glycemicindex.com

phcuk.org/booklets

• Thanks for sharing the links!

• You're welcome!

• Wow, thank you Concerned, I love the links you've sent, great info!

• What are the links and could they be sent me. I would appreciate.

• Here you go Wadestreet...

glycemicindex.com

phcuk.org/booklets

:-)

• Myself and my wife did the 8 week blood sugar diet which kick started my weight loss ... grab a copy of that book I can recommend as it really helped us 😊

• Thank you fatboytorunner, I will have a look at that. :-)

• Hi I'm a newbie today and have a terrible sugar addiction. Somehow I do manage to give chocolate up for Lent each year, but then revert back to normal ways afterwards. It isn't just chocolate with me..oooh and all temptations around us don't help. Please can I ask how you started on cutting out sugar and what items did you give up?

• Hello Erniebertsfriend, welcome to HU, I like your username :-).

I found bits and pieces to read online. For me it's either all or nothing, so I quit chocolate, icecream, biscuits, sugary yogurts, sweets cold turkey. I also try not to eat any fruit early in the day as they contain a lot of fructose which changes the blood sugar level. If I do that I've noticed that I don't crave sugar that much. I learned where my danger zones and times are and made a little plan on how to distract myself, like call a friend, brush my teeth, go for a walk etc. It's so worth it as my mood has improved and I don't have a foggy brain... and giving up sugar is something I do for myself and for my health and it's great to wake up in the morning feeling good about myself. You can do this Erniebertsfriend. I hope you'll enjoy this forum as much as I do. Very best wishes.

• Thankyou so much for your reply & the lovely welcome. This has given me food for thought...or rather not in this case! I usually substitute weetabox for fruit in a morning. I've never even considered the fructose level. I know when my weaknesses come in, which is in an evening so I'll use that time differently now as you suggest. Many thanks.

• Excellent start Erniebertsfriend! Please keep in touch and let us know how you're getting on. I read on your profile that you have West Highland Terriers. My brother has one and she's so cute. We have 4 working collies. I'm working away from home this week and next and I miss them like mad. Wishing you best of luck with your weight loss.

• Nicholds, Sherri. The Realist's Guide To Sugar Free: How To Quit Sugar And Stay Sane In The Real World.

Introduction

I've been on the sugar-free journey for about a year. It has been an experience with many ups and downs, but along the way I have become consumed by the idea of getting sugar out of my life.

As the world is slowly becoming more aware of the impact of sugar on our waistlines and then our healthcare systems, more and more people are considering the possibility of going sugar-free. Some doctors are beginning to advise people with a whole spectrum of conditions to do so.

So I decided to write this book to give people a helping hand. Why? Because the one thing I have learned along the way is this: quitting sugar is hard.

The Realist's Guide To Sugar-Free isn't a cookbook, it's not a science book and it's certainly not a fad diet book. I am a sample size of one, unless you include some of my friends who have also tried it and fallen off the wagon many times along the way. I've failed to maintain a sugar-free life twice in the space of that year, so I can tell you up front - holidays are going to be tough.

There's already a booming market in books about cutting sugar from your diet, so why did I feel the need to write another one to add to the list? Especially one that doesn’t even fall into the categories I’ve described above? Quite simply, although there were many very good titles to choose from, I didn't feel most of them captured the everyday reality for a lot of people living a normal ‘western’ lifestyle.

Although I'm writing this from England, the way of eating is broadly the same as across the USA, Australia and sadly, an increasing number of European countries as well. Those countries that have traditionally been lauded as healthy diet countries are now falling into our bad ways and as a result, the obesity rates are going through the roof. So this book has been written with the reality of big food companies - and not enough time each day - in mind.

My goal is to give you the information you need to be able to give up sugar for good. It is an honest approach. It will be realistic, sharing both the good and bad sides to this new journey you’re about to embark upon. There are no shortcuts to be found here. Only helpful advice to get you started and keep you going.

A lot of countries provide a respectable level of healthcare coverage, such as the NHS does in the UK. Sadly, the financial burden of running this has reached almost breaking point. Some would say it has already broken and we just haven’t faced up to the fact yet. I hope private healthcare as the only option never happens here, but if it does, then let me tell you this: you don't want to be paying a fortune to cover you for sugar related illnesses such as heart disease and diabetes. Do the work now, just in case. That's all I'm saying.

If you're like me, you might even question if you need to go sugar-free after all. I have always seen myself as a 'savoury' person. The vast majority of the time, I gravitate towards crisps and cheese rather than chocolate and cake. For years, I also thought I was a healthy eater. But when I started looking closely, all those sauces and dressings for my burgers and salads contained mind-boggling amounts of sugar. Worse, all of those low cal, low fat foods contained epic amounts of the white stuff (more on that later).

So the only people who won't need this book are the following:

People who don't eat any processed foods

That's it. List of one. It doesn’t matter if you are a sweet person or a savoury person, healthy or unhealthy. If you are buying pretty much anything that comes in a packet, jar, tin or bottle, someone will have helpfully already added that sugar in for you and unless you take a really close look at the label, then you won't have a clue.

The odds are stacked against you right from the start my friend. Your body will rebel against you. Food companies will push ever tastier treats onto the market that you won't be able to have.

Going to a restaurant will often mean a menu choice of one. Your friends will recoil in horror at the prospect of knowing someone who no longer eats chocolate and is refusing a slice of cake.

It will be tough, but I want to show you how to face those odds and still win. That's why I didn't put a picture on the cover of a skinny model - with impossibly glowing skin - laughing at a plate of food that takes four hours to prepare and contains ingredients no one knows how to pronounce. This book is to guide you through the lessons I've learnt the hard way, so that you don't have to make the same mistakes. It's realistic. It’s honest. Being unhealthy is far easier, which is why so many of us are and continue to remain that way. But if you think you're tough enough, read on...

Next chapter coming soon…

• Hi!!

I really want to reduce my sugar intake, but every time I do it my partner says he cannot stand my bad moods and ends up giving me chocolate... Did any of you have these bad mood changes when you started and was there anything that helped?

Thank you!!!

• Would your partner top you up with alcohol, cigarettes, or heroine, if the withdrawal from your particular addiction caused you to be grumpy, Ana?

Of course, you could always refuse the chocolate! ;)

You may also like...