WLCW3 Don't get suckered by shiny food packaging!

Marketing people will do their best to deceive you. The only way to see through their trickery is to master the art of reading food labels. Here's our definitive guide nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pa...

Have a great weekend! Be active and be good ;) See you at Monday's Weight Loss Club Week 4 weigh-in!

Last edited by

2 Replies

oldestnewest
  • A couple of observations. Firstly, real food doesn't need nutrition labels. Secondly, the sugar values are pointless on their own; all carbohydrate is turned to glucose in the body.

The RIs are higher than the RDAs as well; presumably this is a fudge to get supermarkets/food industry to sign up to the traffic light scheme?

Overall, it shows that some changes can be made to healthy eating advice, just not ones supported by evidence that actually improve people's health, because the food industry doesn't approve. There's a definite conflict of interest, and business is being favoured over people's health.

• There are some helpful suggestions in the article, but it leaves out the most important point!

Check the serving size! All the labelling and "traffic lights" will be for one serving, and that serving might be smaller than you expect.

E.g. You read a label on a pizza and everything looks good, but the serving could be a single slice of a pizza. Orange juice label could be for a serving of 100ml. Think about whether you are really going to just have one of the suggested serving size!

This seems to be quite a common trick on food labels to make sure no red traffic lights show up on the package. I hardly ever buy ready meals, but in the summer I broke my hand and couldn't cook. It was really annoying trying to work out what was the best option. It is so much easier to cook as you know what you are putting in the meal.

P.s. I'm just about to set out for a long weekend run, have a good and active weekend everyone!

You may also like...