Men's Health Forum

Life after circumcision

It is now almost four months since my Circumcision but I still find the head can be sore. The slightest touch can sometimes result in pain. It is nothing too severe but can be very uncomfortable. Both the Surgeon and my Dr say the Op was a success and is healing well. The site of the stitches is fine, the soreness is more in the 'head' of my penis.

Anyone with more long term awareness of this procedure have any advice ? I have also read about using various creams that may help reduce pain and stop the head drying out. Eg, Bio oil, Vitamin E, Cocoa Butter or Baby oil. Any Suggestions ?

Sex is possible but not always successful, both due to soreness and not being able to maintain erection.

114 Replies
oldestnewest

Is it pain or just sensitivity? If it's not swollen, and your doctor isnt worried about it then it is just sensitivity. This will probably take a few more months for a lot of the nerve endings to be desensitized. A dry head is normal for cut guys, no need to put creams on it.

Hi, Yes it is probably more sensitivity rather than pain but it can be darn uncomfortable at times. Little concerned at your explanation as 'desensitized'. Sex can be difficult as it is not looking forward to being even less sensitive to stimulation.

Why not view as different. Your brain will adapt to the different sensitivity in due course. There is no treatment as there is nothing wrong, but you need to be patient.

1 like

its nothing to worry about. Its natural that a circumcised penis would become desensitised...its always rubbing against your underwear etc and is no longer protected in a sheath. Could be argued that a less sensitive penis improves your sex life, as you can last longer. But in reality I dont think it makes much difference...stimulation is more mental than physical ( eg wet dreams)

2 likes

Hello friend

My dr. Also circumsied my penis

Because i was suffring from belanite infection since oct 2016.

But still i feel some moisture or symtems of belanite on my penis.

Now forested

Please guid me, what can i do for that ( how can i rid on this problem)

Thanks, I guess I am just experiencing the normal reaction to a circumcision.

My main worry is sex, previously if I could not maintain an erection manual stimulation would soon have me going again but if I am less sensitive that could be an issue ?

I will have to give it more time I guess.

Can I ask a question. I was circumcised 1 week ago, I'm a 29 year old Adult. I still find the penis is healing obviously, but I was going to ask how long did yours take to heal?

I cant see the stitches fully as they are under the fold of the skin, and I'm too scared to pull back to check them, as I don't want to upset the healing.

Did you keep a dressing on your penis for weeks after the surgery?

Was there bleeding around your penis after the surgery?

I find I'm having a little bit of bleeding through the day, but not much to be honest.

It's still sore but again I know its only been a week.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2 likes

I had mine done 5 days ago and after reading a lot of these stories I feel I'm recovering well and I see a lot of people is saying put it I salt water and I can really see that helping! I'm 30 by the way and on this 5th day a lot of swelling had gone down and just some dried blood around the stitches.

I recently had my circumcision.. I wanted to know how much time it took you to recover.. Because I am not even wearing my bottoms from the time bandages were removed like past 6 weeks

My dressing only lasted a few days I would just wear tight fitting pants to stop movement for that is what made me hurt ! I would pull back gently in the bath and let the stitches come out naturally over about a week. The bleeding stopped after about day three but as you say it was only a little.

Sorry to say that for me it continued to be sore for quite some time. But it does get better.

Good Luck

Hi guys. Sorry to read of your discomfort following your circumcision. May I ask were you all given a choice on the different styles i.e. skinned back , high , low tight or loose cut.

Hope things improve quickly for you all and you keep us informed of your well being.

Best wishes guys.

No I was not given a choice nor was I aware there was one.

In my case there was a risk of cancer and it was all a bit of a rush.

Ok Jaglad. So when things dare I say gets back to normal do you think cosmetically you will be happy with the results.

Yea it actually looks ok from a surgery/stitch point of view and from what I have heard it is a neat job. I would have liked the option of keeping the skin longer to afford some protection for the head.

I had puss on my uncircumcised pinnis and it was under foreskin and the doctor treated by circumcision, before that it was tested hiv and some other tests all was clear, now in almost 20 days and i dtill have pain on testical nurves and above pennis probably bladder or seminal vesicle. I feel worry pls advice if anyone have similarities, last visit to doctor a week ago he said it will heal fine.

From what you describe all is normal. It is early days yet following your Op. Relax and wait for time to heal your wound.

Thank you so much jagland make me a bit calm down ...

Thank you again but my urine smells again like it use to smell when it was infection is that ok or so i needs to worry? And the infection just its first time and i went for surgery hopefully all safe ?

Smelly urine could be due to infection, usually a simple test to check this. Initially I would try drinking more water, dehydration is a common cause. But please do seek medical help if it persists particularly if you eperience any pain.

Hi, jaglad, glad that I found this post because I'm having similar issue like you. I was circumcised about 3 months ago and my head and the stitches part still felt uncomfortable sometimes. I search on the internet and mostly say that it took about 30-45 days to heal and that is what I'm concerned about. I jog once in a while before circumcision and now i felt discomfort doing so, not really painful tho but definitely not feeling good either.

Now that I see this post is 7 months old, I would like to know how is thing going for you? Did your issue solved by itself? Or did you do anything to it? Really appreciated it. Thank You.

At three months I was still quite sore when subject to slight knocks. I would imagine the movement from jogging would cause some discomfort. Have you tried tight fitting pants to keep things still ? It is now almost a year since my Op and to be honest I can still get caught out by an unexpected knock or movement. Generally everything is fine, but it is a long process.

good luck

1 like

Thanks a lot for the reply!

and yea, tight fitting boxer did help a little bit. Looks like i still have a long journey. :)

You will get there.

How did you desensitise the head during the first couple of weeks? The pain is killing me rn

Somebody on here suggested using 'delay spray' which is sold to desensitise the penis to help you last longer during sex.

But, I just decided to grin and bear it. My method was to wear tight pants to reduce movement when out and about and loose fitting dressing gown when at home.

Sorry I cannot be more help, but time as they say is a great healer.

Good Luck

1 like

Had my circumcision 50 days ago. Have waited for healing, which is going well, before trying to wank. Cut is quite low, so there's not much inner foreskin left. Tried for ages to stimulate that area, which feels really good but no orgasm! Am I missing something?

1 like

Longest I could go was 21 days after.. at first i thought what the f..k have I done?!? Would stimulate area for hours with no orgasm. In the end if I stimulated and squeezed the base it would happen. Has been 4 months and now the swelling has gone down things seem to be getting back to normal

Mate, biggest regret having it done, yeah the NHS don't tell you that you basically won't orgasm like you used to, (or at all) total lack of information surrounding circumcisions and post op expectations. Hence the need to look up forums such as this.

3 likes

I have to mainly agree with your opinion. Not nearly enough info' available. I still orgasm and sometimes it is good sometimes not so. But overall I think the feeling was better before. But have to make do with what we got left ...

Many circumcised men need to use lubrication.

I waited the full six weeks that was recommended before sex. Have to admit, it nearly killed me. Then we used plenty of lube and started VERY cautiously ! Probably sounds weird but for DiY I initially used one of my Wifes silky nighties which was more of a stroke than a Wank but it did the trick. Still not as nice as before though.

Now 8 weeks since the operation. It took quite some time and effort but at last I've had an orgasm! Never gone for soo long before. What a relief. I thought it was broken. I must get used to using lube though. It ended up red raw and a bit swollen on the scar line. Going down and fading now though.

1 like

Yea, you will find plenty of lube is the way to go. Often if Mrs is wet enough I will just go for it, sometimes I wish I had lubed but usually carry on anyway !

1 like

We've not tried full sex yet. I read somewhere that for a few months, condoms should be worn, to protect the scar I guess. Owing to the fact that my shaft is still thicker than before (not really swollen but definitely wider) I've had to buy large XL ones, which raised a couple of eyebrows over the counter! Overall though, I'm sure it's a bit shorter but I don't know how that would be.

Lol good one

1 like

Yes I heard the condom advice and we did use the first time but putting on and taking off without actually causing pain was difficult, so we used plenty of good old KY. Strange that I thought mine looked thicker but when I asked Mrs if she noticed a difference, she said it felt thinner ?

Real confidence booster that was ! She says she prefers it now but I not so sure.

1 like

I’ve heard it’s worse for a woman because your foreskin would go up and down inside her but now it’s gone it’s less pleasure for her weather that’s 100% true or not I don’t know but I wouldn’t have thought it would make much difference 😂

My foreskin didn't move up and down before my circ so can't imagine any great difference now except for a more prominent ridge which can only be a positive right?!

It is and it isn’t I still enjoy sex like before but it’s less sensitive but not enough to not be enjoyable plus your mind plays a huge part in sexual intercourse

1 like

I was 23 when I got circumcised and November last year I got circumcised because I had tight foreskin and no creams or stretches were working.

I think sex was better before, but if it has to be done, that is it. Make best use of what we have left.

Straight. Is it relevant ?

Hello guys...i know this thread is old and some well experienced guys are here.. I had my circumcision a week before.. And I have to join my office on 29th.. I am still not wearing any bottoms.. Please suggest what should I do.. The stitches are still present under the penis also.. Please do help..

I had mine done in mid-December. Very little pain, a little bleeding during the first two weeks. Much weeping of fluid from the surface of the glans, which had to have a lot of adhesions of the foreskin scraped off. I was out and about within the first week. I think I only went without bottoms while in the hospital overnight. I wear boxer-briefs for underwear. They provided good support so things did not move a lot. For the weeping fluid I bought some 20cm x 9cm sterile first aid pads and just stuffed them around the end of the penis inside the underwear. Worked a charm. Before I got to the pharmacy to buy the pads, my wife let me use her pantyliners -- they worked also, but I preferred something sterile.

Stitches were all out on the 30th day. Still having tenderness around the incision line. Giving it more time.

I would wear tight fitting underpants to stop movement which helped to reduce pain. Provided you not doing anything to physical you should be fine.

Good luck

Hi guys, I had my circumcision two weeks ago tomorrow. Slowly getting there although still yet to really adventure out of the house.

Couple of questions:

1) When did you first take a bath? I was going to go for it tomorrow but I have read to wait three weeks?

2) How long did it take for stitches to start and finally all fall out?

Cheers,

Mike

I'm on day 11 and my 1st of many stitches just fell out on its own this morning in the shower. Still swollen from the bottom and the night erections have been a nightmare for me. But I'm on day 11 and I think the worst is behind me. I even made a YouTube video of my first 7 days of recovery. It's getting a lot of views. Anyway that's my story.

I had a short shallow bath on day three using emollient lotion and no soap, thereafter I used Johnsons Baby soap. Again, short and shallow for the first week or so. I progressed to showers but not letting the full water force onto the newly exposed head.

The stitches came out slowly over about two and half weeks, starting on day three.

Baths are not recommended as bacteria my get in the wound. I had my circumcision a week ago @ age 53, recovering well. i recommend using tight fitting underwear.

now that the wound is dry, the stitches get cut on the underwear, wrapping it with tissue before tucking on the underwear helps the rubbing.

Bath wise, I was just advised to avoid for the first few days. Then and still now I rinse with clean water. The tight fitting underwear was a great help and I used melonin dressings to stop the rubbing.

I am also 53 and one year on, survivor ?

Hi Jaglad,

I am on day 6 and healing. I got it done due to phimosis. But some of the comments here are mentioning about lack of or reduced sensation. I am freaking out now. What is your first hand experience? My thoughts were like my foreskin was anyways tight due to phimosis, so with Circumcision it should be better. Isn't it so :(

There are differences of opinion, but medical science shows that most of the nerves are in the foreskin and most sensation is in the foreskin.

Of course we are all different, and how you where before will make you aware of how you are now. For me, the head can be still quite sore if touched in the 'wrong' way. It has to be said that sexual feeling has reduced. Sex is still very enjoyable but I preferred it pre-op. But given the possible alternative I make the best of what I have.

Sorry I cannot be more positive, enjoy what we have. And as I keep saying we are all different, others may give a more positive outlook.

Hey guys, 44 years old, 8 days in. I'm not having much fun here. Head is very sensitive, I did fear that wouldn't end but it's definitely improving. Time will take care of that I'm sure. I had a bath on day 4, sort of regretted it as I swelled up after, for about 24 hours. Like a lot of you, tight fitting underwear has helped a lot. I'm getting so many erections throughout the night, they wake me up constantly. It really hurts. I've split where the stitches are slightly, this stings like a bitch. I'm now having salt baths. My biggest query is that I seem to have been sown lop-sided. The left hand side, I can see about 4mm of flesh below the head, the right hand side is level with the base of the head. But I'm still swollen on the right side so it's hard to tell. Anyone else have something like this?

Yep very similar experience although mine did not get better until 3 months on when the swelling started to go down

Did it end up looking even when the swelling went down? I'm guessing it's not as bad as it looks and it's the swelling that's caused it but at the moment the old fella looks in a sorry state

Overall I am fairly pleased with how the 'old fella' looks. It took quite a long time and as I say it can still be sensitive, but reasonably pleased.

I am happy with it too now 4 months on. Beginning was shiiiiiiit

Same here. Now around 16 weeks and pleased with the result. On the topside and underside, the scar line is quite smooth and even. However, on both sides, the scar line is still a bit raised up and gets a bit swollen there if stimulated! In those areas it's still a bit tender too. My scar line seems to be around 1cm from the head all the way round. At first, I thought my frenulum had gone but now it looks as though it's still there but very short and very close to the shaft - virtually gone anyway.

I have the same problem

A few general tips for people with fresh/recent circumcision.

1) Do not panic, overthink or overreact. What people usually do, and that is everyone, is get concerned and freak out when they think something might be wrong. Most likely everything is ok and you are just worried so take a deep breather and try to relax, panicking never helps. If you are truly concerned, contact the person that performed the circumcision.

2) For sensitivity, for the first few days/weeks one thing that might help is wearing tight underwear (tight as in, not too much movement not as in being strangled). Briefs or boxer briefs are the better solution (boxers too loose and will make your penis move more). If you live alone for the first 2-3 weeks, don't wear underwear at home. Also use a gauze covered in vaseline to cover your head/incision. Make sure its a pharmaceutical vaseline (no fragrance, no added stuff, just pure vaseline, not "lotion" vaseline) the gauze will keep your head from scratching against underwear and keep it "safer" while still slowly helping it to get used to no foreskin. Another thing you can do is run medium warm showers with medium stream at your head ... it will be slightly uncomfy but its a way to "train".

3) Do not take long baths for the first two weeks (until your stitches are out/dissolved), showering after two days is fine as long as you don't spend too much time there. Salt/herb baths (understand dipping your penis into a bowl of it) is fine for a couple of minutes and helps healing but once again, do it for 2-3 minutes not too long to not cause the stitches to dissolve prematurely.

4) Erections are a bitch to deal with, mainly coz you cannot control them. Usually the first week isn't too bad because the shock caused to your penis will keep you from getting erections for a few nights but then when it starts healing but stitches are still in, it can get very painful. Do not drink past 6 PM. Drink as much as you want/can during the day, you should get it out of your system by night, but do not drink before going to bed. Many erections are caused by your body trying to prevent peeing itself, giving yourself less of a cause for an erection is always good. If you sleep on your side, keep the "fetal position" in mind, having your knees slightly bent towards your stomach helps with lowering erections, or at least the impact of them. If you sleep on your back, try to sleep with your knees up (same affect as fetal position on side though not as effective). You will still get erections even with these "tips" try to think of something unsexy or even unpleasant, for me it was sticking my penis into a pile of snow ... its cold, its annoying, always got my erection down quickly xD. Find something that will do the same thing to you.

5) Back to the first point, everyone heals differently, someone is lucky and heals rather quickly, someone is unlucky and heals longer, you are different, doesn't mean there is an issue, don't start reading various articles on the internet persuading yourself that there is "deffo something wrong with you". Give it time, the 4-6 weeks "healing" estimate is for the main would to "heal" as in close up ... you will not be fully healed with everything looking normal in 6 weeks, that will take months. The important thing is to make sure you give your penis time to heal, if you have an urge to masturbate too soon, resist it, better wit the extra week, than to prolong healing and having to wait extra 3. Be patient.

6) If you are really concerned, freaked out and nothing here helped to calm you down, the only thing that will is contacting your care provider and having your mind be put at ease. Do so.

5 likes

Hi please please could your help me im so willing to get circumcised but I'm really so scared that it will be painful I'm 22 years old please tell me if it's worth it to get circumcised????? And what outcome do you gain and also is it painful? Thanks a lot hope to hear from you'll

Hi John . Circumcision is an emotive topic . You either believe in it or not. Personally I think all guys should be able to have this done on demand. This day and age there should be no pain but some guys do experience some discomfort during the healing process . I would do your home work and read up about the procedure especially when it come to styles of circumcisions. Sure you will not regret getting cut. All the best.

I can only suggest you re-read all previous posts and make your decision. For me, I wished I never had it, But, I needed it so that was that. Circumcision is only worth it if you need it, the operation itself is painless because you will have anaesthetic. Recovery can be a long process.

It is tough to start with but things do improve. Look at all options.

Hopefully some of you guys are here cause I feel I can get a good response since it seems some of you are months in. I got circumcised on Jan. 9th. As far as I can tell healing seems to be going well. But I've noticed that when erect it doesn't look like it pulls back as far as before. Is that because of the swelling? And will that go away after a couple months? Or am I stuck like this? Hopefully you're able to understand my question. Thanks in advance.

Hi Jay. Congrats on your new modelled cock. I’m sure most of the guys here would agree that it is to early to tell as you rightly say there is still swelling and the skin needs to settle down before one can judge. You should see a marked improvement after a couple of months however if you where skinned back and retain some inner 4skin it is likely to take longer especially for the scar line to fade. Main thing mate don’t worry you did the right thing and I’m sure things will work out just fine.

Hello, I recently got circumcised a few days ago and am concerned about the sensitivity. It takes me a couple minutes before I can get comfortable lying down on my bed, and I cannot walk unless I am naked or I am wearing boxers but am pulling them away from my body. I am 16 years old and am currently studying from a levels, but I am really worried I am going to miss too much time due to not being able to walk from sensitivity. Any ways to speed up recovery or stop the sensitivity??

All heels in time bro, I had mine done 17 days ago and I was like you, it’s a weird scared feeling you get to put boxers on it, I had the courage to put it on my penis and then 3 days later I could walk, it’s super sensitive but it will dye down ;)

Any recommendations on anything like adapting to walking again?

Hi Madman . I concur with Charlie the sensitivity will calm down but recovery takes it’s own time. I worn tight briefs and jocks which I found worked for me.

It will improve in time, go for the tight underwear to keep everything still.

I found the movement against the material was the worst. After a few days you could try showering and let the water hit the area, just a little at first then build up. This was recommended to me.

You will get there.

Hi jaglad, I just came across your post because I too had an adult circumcision (for balanitis) & was told my glans would "toughen up" or that I would get used to it over time. But it's been 6 yrs now and I regret to say that the sensitivity has not totally gone away. So, like you, i'm still having to wear tight underwear whenever I am active. I've also tried all kinds of prescription & over the counter ointments/creams but nothing has "cured" me yet.

So I just wanted to let you guys know that it's not just "all in your head" (unless you count the glans) & that sensitivity does not always go away even after long periods of time.

But i'm still holding out hope (barely) that maybe something will come along that will clear my condition up. I'm also considering doing a biopsy on the glans to see exactly what kind of strain of balanitis I have.

I am only 15 months on, and yes, still, things can be uncomfortable. I am pretty much managing it and know when to expect the discomfort.

To be honest I am not sure I want to be totally 'pain' free as I feel this may take some pleasure out of sex.

They thought I had Penile cancer but it turned out to be Zoon's Balanitis.

How long until sensitivity of the glans is reduced to a barable level? And jaglad, how does your sensitivity feel now compared to the first few weeks post operation? Thanks

We all different. I was quite sore for a couple of months, but you will read on here some men where back at work a week after Op !

Now I am a lot less sensitive and generally it is not a problem. Now I just accept this is how it is going to be. Compared to just after ; a Thousand times better.

Hey it’s madman99 just forgot the password lol, just want to say thanks, nearly 3 weeks after the op and it feels way better. Sensitivity is reduced vastly to the point I can actually touch the head but still feel a bit of sensitivity. It’s still swollen on the incision and has stiches in, so I’d like to ask how long does it generally take for the swelling to go down and for it to look normal?

Well I was quite a few weeks, but others on here have said they where fine after 10 days !

So we all different, not something you can rush.

Interesting thread, I was circumcised 5 weeks ago to the day due to a tight fore skin and no steroid creams/recommended stretching techniques by doctor worked, sadly.

But yeah the process of recovery, If I’m honest, the first couple of weeks aren’t a fun ride at all, totally uncomfortable wearing anything on your bottom half, baths were a big relief! Took about 3 weeks til I was comfortable in (slim fit) jeans again.. I have seemingly been very lucky in healing process though, virtually no bleeding and stitches came out by the end of the third week.

The sexual side of things, now this is an interesting one and is still a part of the “learning curve” so to speak, having to get over recovery and understand psychologically and physically the change in feeling.. I’m yet to have intercourse since the operation, I’m holding off for another week or so, but have masturbated 3 times, the first being at 3 and a half weeks (slightly too soon if I’m honest, was more painful than anything else!).. my verdict so far is it all seems very dry and the feeling around the head is no where near as good, touching the base and using a water based lubricant has really helped, but the feeling over the head is so so different, it’s certainly gonna take some getting used to - it’s early days too, I’m hoping things improve as the scarline gets better & I know what feels best, but I’m not enjoying masturbation like I used to - maybe it’s too early to properly analyse it yet.

If nothing else, being circed’ is a long process, a learning curve & is certainly going to take some getting used to.

Sounds like a text book recovery. Sex should not be 100metre sprint but more of a marathon and you have just the tool for staying power. Being a Barehead has been the best thing in my life. I view it as a mark of a man .

1 like

You where brave in masturbating after three and half weeks ! Do not rush into sex and use plenty of lube' until you know what is right for you.

I am over a year on now, and I have to admit that for me also the feeling is still not as good as it was.

1 like

Fortunate to have found this excellent post. I had my operation almost a month ago, and am so glad to have finally gotten past the initial torture. To go from an anteater to a turtle is a bitch, especially at this point in my life. I am 70 years old and got bobbed because of a new predilection I seem to have developed toward acquiring penile infections, and it didn’t help that I was unable to pull back the foreskin. Anyway, I seem to be healing fine, but like so many of you, am still dealing with a sensitivity I didn’t expect after a month. It currently feels as though the glans is bruised, although I must admit, this is far preferable to feeling like it was embedded with broken glass, as it did in the first week or two of recovery. My hat is off to all you for getting this done now while you are still young.

2 likes

I was cut nearly a week ago. I had mine done as a private patient at the Manchester circumcision centre. I had some issues with my foreskin being too tight and hurting a lot etc.

Anyway. The Dr has been doing this over 30 years! Was great and gave me plenty of advice.

Even made sure I got home ok and contacted me throughout this first week for updates.

I’ve had hardly any bleeding, not much soreness except erections at night. Which I now don’t drink much in the evening. That stops them happening as much.

I’ve bathed everyday for 5 mins. I bleach the bath first with spray bleach. Wash it off with the shower. Then run a bath with e45 bath, and 2 cups of magnesium flakes.

Swelling is pretty much on the incision line. Still using Vaseline and gauze to wrap where that’s is. But not had much of an issue. Been out for a meal today and was fine.

But I won’t lie. Want to be able to use it. Another 5 weeks so far away!

Very thorough with your cleaning regime. Good to read things are going well for you. Yea, I would definitely advise waiting the five weeks before sex, it can be a long haul but worth the wait and not worth any risk.

What a brilliant find this page is and fair play to jaglad, brilliant posts. I'm 32 and had my circ on Monday last. It'll be a week tomorrow. Got it done due to phimosis taking over the show which started about two years ago. I never had any problems retracting the foreskin prior to this.

For the last year or more I struggled to pull back the foreskin in the shower. Sometimes when I succeeded I would actually tear the skin on the underside of my knob because it was so tight. My penis had also become quite deformed looking when I did retract the foreskin.

Saw multiple doctors and tried all sorts of creams and none of that stuff worked. Had to abstain from sex with the mrs which began to cause tension. The few times that we did my foreskin would never retract fully and after there would be loads of little tears in it that would hurt like hell. It reminded me of looking at a volcano post eruption with all the little streams of lava pouring down from the top... except the "streams" were open flesh.

Anyway, had it done last Monday. Procedure typically takes 15-20mins however I had "extensive skin adhesions" to the underside of my bell that he had to cut and remove. The pain was horrific. They gave me 8 needles but that really only numbed the foreskin, not the actual head of my knob. After this he had to use a laser to create some scar tissue to reform the underside of my head as it had basically been taken over and swallowed up by skin. Absolutely horrendous. 1.5hrs and 17 stitches later I was done.

Almost a week on I've had to change my dressings several times per day with the help of my epic wife. Hurts like a bitch at times particularly if the underside comes into contact with urine. I have been sending progress pics to the doctor as advised and expressed concern at the slow healing to where the skin adhesions were. He compared this area to like having second degree burns.

I don't want to put anyone off with my post. Just sharing my experience thus far and hoping that things will get better soon. I won't start on the sensitivity, that's a different post as are the nighttime boners. Sounds like most people here had dissolvable stitches. I'm not so lucky in this region. 17 old school vinyl stitches that will have to be removed one by one. The Mrs. is going to do this. She'll be way more gentle than any doctor would. Shitting myself about when the time comes to take them out. Any recommendations on settling the nerves? Thanks lads and brilliant posts so far. Sorry I wrote a novel.

Yeah, did not realise what a Monster I was to create !

Sounds like you been through the mill. Where you not offered a general anaesthetic ? When it comes to the stitch removal you could try desensitising spray. Not tried it myself but was advised that it may help reduce pain when I first had my Op'. Of course take painkillers in advance.

Good luck

Now over 5 months since my op. It now feels as though I've always been circumcised. No over sensitivity at all. Sex is great. My wife says I should have been cut years ago! She can really tell the difference - for the better. My scar line is still settling down and us still a bit raised on the sides but it doesn't bother me. Appearance wise, the glans is now the same colour as the rest of the shaft, so it looks like a lifelong circumcision. I've not had any glans peeling, just a general drying out. Maybe that's because before the op, I would keep my foreskin pulled back a lot of the time. Only problem there was that it wouldn't stay back!

If I'm playing on my own, I've found that the corona of my glans is now mindblowingly sensitive during orgasm. Much more than before. So I've taken to forming a ring with my finger and thumb and gently brushing them upwards over the glans from below, just as I shoot. Amazing!

All round a positive move which I should have done years ago.

2 likes

Good to read your positive experience. My wife was very supportive but not really encouraging when it came to looks or feel. But I do have a small scar from a Biopsy and some discolouration from the Balantitis.

Hey guys, I just want to say this post has been a massive weight off my shoulders!

I was cut 8 days ago, and I think the healing process is going okay! I had my op under general anesthetic, but had bleeding after the op and ended up going back into theatre. 7 injections of local anesthetic and an extra 3 stitches later and I was back out.

My question is, I'm reading that people are replacing and keeping gauze dressings on for 1-2 weeks after the op. Now I had a gauze dressing with a condom over the top when I left the hospital, with a hole in the top to allow for urination.

Halfway through the second day of being home, the swelling had gone down slightly meaning the gauze dressing had stayed in place, but my penis had moved down, meaning I no longer had a hole for pee'ing, so it had to come off as I was only going to soak it in urine trying to go. If came off fairly easy, no real sticking apart from one side of the gland.

Once I took that one off, I replaced it with another gauze dressing and did so for another 2 days. From day 5, I've had no dressing on it and have been washing with salt water, and then letting the shower stream run from my neck straight down and over the penis. No pain or real discomfort from doing this, as is definitely keeping it nice and clean.

My question is, is it a problem that I'm not keeping a dressing on it now?

Like I said I'm on day 8, day 4 I was moving around the house very slowly and getting up/down very slowly. Day 5/6 saw an improvement in mobility, and day 7 I was driving my car again and moving around slightly better, kind off like an old man/heavily pregnant woman!

The sensitivity is getting better, but I know I have a long road ahead! Night boners are still quite difficult, but definitely much more manageable in the last 2 days than before this!

Should not be a problem with no dressing. Mine fell off on day two, from then on I would either wear loose fitting dressing gown around the house. If I had to wear pants then I would put vaseline on a melonin dressings and put it between the head and the pants as a buffer. I wore tight fitting 'jockey' type shorts to reduce movement. Your progress sounds very familiar to mine. You will get there.

1 like

Thanks for the reply jaglad! I was wearing a non adhesive pad with Vaseline on when I was going to bed up until day 5, and now I'm just sleeping in loose fitting boxer type underwear at night and sleeping okay. I think I'm going to try a pad in my underwear during the day when I go back to work, with slightly tighter underwear.

May I ask, the first time you had sex again, how was it? I'm going to wait until it's been 5/6 weeks before I even try, just for the sake of safety to the wound site, but I'm still nervous. I'm a 24 year old male who's in a 6 year committed relationship and I must say my other half has been amazing, so they not my worry, just what it will feel like etc.

I found the tight fitting pants a great benefit. Even overnight, if there was any 'stirring' the pants reduced any movement which helped. I always went to sleep back to back with Mrs, she was also under strict instruction to wear her most unflattering night-clothes !

I waited the advised six weeks, and used a condom the first time as someone on here suggested it. The condom was ok to put on and fine during sex but awkward to remove, a little painful.

The first time was amazing, well after that long it had to be ! I would advise plenty of lube initially, Mrs is usually very wet anyway but I was taking no chances.

Good luck

1 like

Did you sleep with any pads or anything? I'm sleeping with just pants on and can get a few moments off discomfort from the glands touching/rubbing the pants. Also, how long did it take for your sensitivity to become "normal", as such?

Apologies for all the questions, but the hospital were next to useless on discharge and gave me no information on what to expect etc. To be honest it was a shambles!

I was just given a leaflet when leaving the Hospital. I used the pads both at night, and during the day when I had to wear trousers. My Wife is a Nurse which helped with suggestions of care, the pads I used where shiny on one side which prevented sticking.

To be honest the sensitivity for me lasted for some weeks, others have said theirs was over in a week or two. So I guess I was unlucky.

I didn't even get that, but I've found some PDF leaflets online which I think are the same as they give you. I'll look at getting some more pads and carry on with how I'm going.

Thank you very much fella, you've been a massive help!

No problem, we all here to help each other.

Hi ive just recently had a circumsision and I’m wondering what’s the absolute earliest should I wait before I can do stuff sexually in terms of oral, sex and masturbation. I was advised to wait 6 weeks is this true?

Congratulations on joining the barehead club. Generally speaking I would agree with the six week layoff of sexual activity . It’s most important allow the body’s healing processs to finish its work. If things get unbearable and you feel you gotta knock one out just try rubbing your glans without moving your penile skin.

1 like

Ahaha thanks so In 6 weeks time I’m basically fine for any sexual activity ?

Mate I understand your eagerness to try out your new circumcised cock. But every one is slightly different when it comes healing times . Just read some of the posts on this site. Just take things gently after six weeks and see how things go. May be worth using condoms if the scar line is still red. What style did you have high low tight or loose?

Tight as and yea can’t wait to try the new ol fella out

Hi Guys, I'm booked in to have a circumcision on the 9th of April and I'm truly terrified! I've suffered from phimosis for as long as I can remember and I'm 26 now. After many attempts at stretching, I'm now able to see the top of my glands (about the size of a 5p coin), this hurts an eye-watering amount if I even attempt to rub it in any way and is probably the cause for a lot of my worries leading up to surgery.

A few things I'd like some advice on if possible, firstly I'm a flight attendant and therefore when I return to work, there will be a lot of movement, to say the least! A plane is not normally the most comfortable place to be at the best of times lol. How long do you think I'd need off work?

Secondly, I have a holiday to Florida booked in August! I'm panicking a silly amount that should I go through with the operation, my holiday will be ruined! Rollercoasters, waterparks and a ton of walking around 4/5 months after the op?? Should I postpone the circumcision if possible?

Many thanks.

Hi mate.

Would like to congratulate you on your decision. I hope everything goes well on the day. If anyone says they ain’t nervous about having an operation or some form of medical procedure they are not telling the truth. I get nervous flying.

Would agree with Tim regarding time off work and not cancelling that holiday.

Let us know how you get on mate.

It’s going to be a life changer for you and for the best.

Hi Snip,

Thanks for your speedy reply, hope you don't mind me saying but you seem to come across as very pro-circumcision.. Do you think I should have any concerns? Bare in mind like a lot of us guys in this situation, my glads have never seen the light of day so will naturally be unbearable at first, will it have calmed down enough in 4 months to enjoy roller coasters and water slides etc? Some guys on here saying that a slight knock after 6 months is bad enough, let alone having it crushed by the over-enthusiastic coaster person who wants to make sure you can't move or breath for the whole ride haha.

Many thanks again.

Your holiday to Florida won't be a prob because everything should have been completely healed by then.

Concerning work, I would take two weeks off. After two weeks the stitches can be removed and once they're gone, work shouldn't be a prob. Just make sure you wear tight underwear and keep your penis upwards. It will speed up the healing. Succes and congrats for making the decision. I've done it myself a few years ago and I can assure you that it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

1 like

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply, can I ask at what point you felt back to "normal" after it was done? Like didn't matter if it got bashed about a bit?

Many thanks

After about two months everything was quite normal as I recall it. Only on the back of my glans, that spot where the frenulum was, kept very sensitive for awhile. But after 4-5 months it was as if I already was circumcised my entire life.

From personal experience I would say you need more than two weeks, but we all heal at different rates. When you do go back wear tight fitting pants, such as 'jockey' shorts, this reduces movement and thus pain. You can take Ibuprofen and Paracetamol together following correct dosage. But take them in advance to start, with before you get the pain then reduce use as you feel more able.

Good luck and Your holiday will be great.

Hi Jaglad,

Thank you for taking the time to reply! As you've said in many of your previous replies, knocking yourself down there can be a bit of a shock/painful.. So with that in mind, do you think the holiday is a bad idea? Sorry to make you repeat yourself but as there is still time to cancel the holiday or the circumcision, I'm looking for as much advice as I can.

Thank you!!

Yes it can be very painful no hiding that, but by the time you go away you should be all healed. Even now the unexpected knock can take your breath away but you will know what to do to avoid such knocks and to be honest it is a real OUCH ! moment but does not usually last. Keep on with the tight underwear to reduce movement when on the rides etc. You can always pop into a store to buy overcounter pain-killers should it be necessary.

My recovery felt like a very long road, but if it was me I would be going on that Holiday !

Some new rides to look forward this year I am told. Go for it.

Sorry to come in on the conversation. I got circumcised on the 6th of April. I feel good, peeing has been better than I thought. I've moved away from tight underwear to loose pajama shorts type thing and feel fine. Little discomfort the first day or two but now on day 5 it's ok. There's slight discomfort at times but never pain. My question was about work aswell and time to take off. I work in a mental health prison and unfortunately run the risk of getting attacked a lot and do unfortunately have to restrain at times aswell. When restraining there is no way of telling how well it will go but once you're in you have to get them down as quickly as possible. Dropping to atleast one knee as you put them on the floor. Bearing that in mind, how long is a safe amount of time before I could go back to work would you think ?

You really need to speak to your Occupational Health Nurse. I can see why you would be worried, that is a very unpredictable environment. The last thing you want in any situation is to be worrying about taking a knock down there. Because it WILL hurt !

The 'occy' health Nurse in my place would not let me return for almost twelve weeks. I do a lot of bending and stretching but nothing really strenuous. Then I was on reduced hours and restricted for a couple of weeks.

To be honest when I visited the Nurse I wore normal boxers which did make me walk with a limp and did make it look worse but I did not want to take chances.

1 like

Hi everyone. I can relate to a lot of what I’ve read here, so I just wanted to share about my experience in case it’s useful to someone.

I had my circumcision 9 months ago, being 38 then (I am 39 now). As Jaglad, I too had little choice since I had the op because of medical reasons. In my case, it was because of adhesions of the foreskin to the glans and there was risk of infection.

The recovery was quite long and painful. The doctor said that my op was a little more complicated than a normal circumcision because of the adhesions and it would take me longer than normal to recover. I had to wipe fluid off the glans and dress it with gauze often because of this. I was told to have ibuprofen every 6 hours approx. Nights were hard because of erections and the stiches would sometimes bleed. It took about 4-6 weeks for the stiches to either come off or disappear by themselves.

I too am very sensitive around the area were the scar is, even now after 9 months. It’s not really pain, but more of a discomfort, especially when it rubs the clothing or when I touch certain parts. Most people here say that tight clothes are best, but in my case, I found the opposite to be true. I couldn’t bear wearing something tight as I would feel it pressing against my penis, which was too sensitive. I found wearing loose baggy clothes to be more soothing and, even better, not wearing nothing at all was the best (at home, of course).

As it happened to some guys here, sex has been more difficult, especially because of being more difficult to get manual stimulation to get me going. Lubricant has certainly been an aid for sex. Regarding sexual pleasure, sex feels as good as it used to be, I feel the same pleasure as I used to before the op, so that was good news.

Finally, I did take 2 weeks off work, and then I worked from home for 3 more weeks, so I guess I was lucky to have the chance to spend that much time at home to recover.

I’d also like to comment that I’m doing therapy now, and it really helps to cope with this as well as other stuff.

All the best to you all.

1 like

The foreskin had protected the head. Now that it is gone, the head is exposed to all sorts of irritants and friction on clothing.

You may also like...