Looking for an Advocate for Myself: Hello, I just... - Mencap


4,598 members1,206 posts

Looking for an Advocate for Myself

Foong profile image

Hello, I just like to know is there an independent Advocate I can privately pay to help me do some letters. I am a parent of my son who is 38years old living in a care settings. I need help because there are a lot of bullying and controlling against us and I need to know where I stand and what to do. I know Advocate are provided for the someone with learning difficulty and I am not but I do need help because I am so stress emotionally to deal with it or even know what to write.

Thank you


3 Replies
Sarah_Mencap profile image

Hello Carolyn

I am very sorry to hear about this, and that is it making you feel this way.

As you say, advocacy is usually for people with a learning disability. There is a bit about it on our website here - mencap.org.uk/advice-and-su...

Finding the right support for you, so you can help you be heard, is really vital. I will ask our helpline if they have any advice about this. Alternatively, you can call them directly on 0808 808 1111 and have a chat with one of our trained advisors.

Best wishes


Let me know if you have any luck as I am looking for one too.

Dear CarolynThank you for getting in touch. I hope all is well. When it comes to advocay we signpost to:







It might also be an idea to contact a local Mencap group as they may offer an advocacy service: mencap.org.uk/search/groups

I hope this information helps.

Kind Regards


You may also like...