section 117 aftercare: My son is on a section 11... - Mencap


3,833 members911 posts

section 117 aftercare


My son is on a section 117 aftercare and has just moved into a care home. The manager has told us his DLA/ESA will now be reduced because he is living there. My understanding is all his care is paid for jointly by the CCG and Social services. Is it correct that they should be taking his benefits away to pay for his care?

6 Replies

Hi I lived in secure residential care for many years.

They take the care part of the DLA/PIP away as you are assumed to have all your needs met in residential care which is not true in complex cases mine included.

I was also under a 117 for years after I was released from a learning disability hospital,i might still be under it I don’t know,I don’t get told a lot.

if no one has answered you tomorrow I’ll send the care facility manager here an email to see if he knows as I know he is in tomorrow and I’ll get back to you.

Gabyez in reply to LDAutie

Thank you for your reply. I think you are correct about them taking away the care part of DLA as this is what everything I'm researching comes back and tells me. As with you and your section 117, you can only be taken of section 117 after your care team (social worker and care coordinator) have assessed you as no longer needing mental health aftercare, and they would need to inform you (with a letter) that you have been taken off this section. Take care


Hi Gabyez Thanks for posting this question. There is quite a lot of information about ESA (and other benefits) on Mencap's website here

But as always with these sort of things so many things can affect benefit claims. Please do call our Learning Disability Helpline if you would like to chat to someone about this. Call them on 0808 808 1111 or email

Best wishes


It depends how your Son’s care is funded. If he is funded by social care then he will be expected to contribute towards his care. It doesn’t usually leave much, around £30 per week. My son is funded 100% by continuing healthcare so he doesn’t have to contribute to his care and keeps the mobility part of his pip and his universal credit. The care part of his pip did stop when he went to residential College But we claim it when he comes home in the holidays.

Do you know how he is usually funded?

Gabyez in reply to BenjiB

Thanks for your answer. He's jointly funded by the CCG and social services. His needs are extremely complex, so even in the care home they are not able to fully care for him and I provide 50/50 of his care needs.

Hi there. Yes that’s right usually it happens that way. But only if that residential placement is shared so a care home or a residential school. If he lived on supported living with on he’s own home then no. He would keep he’s Benefits to pay for he’s home like you and I need to pay . If however it’s he’s home and 117 pays foe all of he’s life essentials again yes .. it would be the same if he was at a residential school or hospital. Very rarely 117 pays for full care.

You may also like...