First HM in 20 years

Started c25k last year on physio advice - nasty ankle injury skiing.

Did Roberttown Runners half today -stopped my watch at 1:46:28. Pleased with this as weather not great and quite hilly course. Similar time to my result in Robin Hood many moons ago

Having followed a fairly conservative training plan I managed to post PRs for every distance on the way.

The way I feel now, I wonder if my physio was just trying to get a customer for life!

Last edited by

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • thats a great time! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

• That's fantastic, well done.

Stiff tomorrow, I am sure but by Tuesday you will be raring to go again.

• Easy week this week and then skiing again following week. Can't wait!

• That's an amazing result. Congratulations!

• That is a really fantastic time, huge well done I bet that felt amazing??

• Thanks - I'd have been disappointed if I hadn't gone under 2 hours but felt quite overwhelmed at the end. Exceeded my expectations by quite a margin.

It's the first time I've trained properly for a run and did 80% slow and 20% fast intervals as prescribed by Matt Fitzgerald but hardly any at HM pace. I was lucky with no illness, only minor niggles and no family emergencies to disrupt training - (even did a 10 mile interval session whilst I left the turkey cooking on Christmas Day)

In addition I do all my training off road in the Pennines so surface and gradient are quite challenging compared to even a hilly road run in nice bouncy road shoes. With a decent taper and knowing I would be pulled along by other runners I didn't know what to expect.

It's intriguing to know how close to my potential I am. I felt very comfortable all the way round.

You may also like...