HM training plan

Can anyone recommend a HM training plan for me please? I have found two so far, one in Runner's World and one on the adidas Silverstone half marathon website (the race I am doing next March). Both are 12 week plans and I would expect to start a week or two before Christmas. I used a RW training plan for my recent 10k and that went rather well. Both plans also use a 4 days on/3 days off schedule which generally works well for me. I was just wondering if there are any others I should consider? (I think I can do sub 2 hrs, hopefully under 1:55 - the furthest I have ever run is 14.5km)

11 Replies

• Hi Simon

Im doing a My Asics plan , I have been doing it since June. It has worked really well for me and Im feeling confident about my HM in October.

You have a choice of beginners, intermediate and advanced. I went for the beginners ( the intermediate is very tough, be warned ! )

Ive really enjoyed doing mine, it gives you a projected finish time based on your existing times and it can be tweaked here and there .

Good Luck, hope you find one that suits xxx

• myasics. I have done loads of them. I would say though go for the "easy or beginner" plan. I have done the intermediate and it's very dificult even on 3 days a week. They give you specifics times and distances so it takes all of the guesswork out of it, and importantly saves over-running. They will give you an estimated race finish time based on the few questions they ask. Free, so nothing to lose by getting one, even if you don't follow it

• Thanks. Just signed up for a myasics plan. It's predicting a time of 1:45, based on my recent 10k PB!?!?

It looks very comprehensive though, telling me how far to run and at what pace. I'll definitely be doing some parkruns and I would like to include some hills and intervals here and there so I may well modify it somewhat. But I think I will follow it from about mid-December.

• Time on your feet

Go out and stop out for two hours!

Works for me

• I have a dread of over -running now since my horrific shin splint, so I like a structured plan. Short runs as well as long. The longer runs build up over the course of the plan which seems sensible to me. I have a short one due today but a long one tomorrow. If they were all long i'd be dead 😊

Use your head to save your legs ☺

• I like a plan too, keeps me focused on my goal as I tend to try and do too much and end up getting crocked .

Good Luck with it Simon !

Oh misswobble ! I completely mis-read the last line of your post as " Use your head to SHAVE your legs " Ha ha :-D

I thought " How the hell is he going to do that , and why would he even want to ?? :-D :-D xxx

• Pops, does your plan include any runs of your actual race distance? It's one thing that put me off, that you never seem to actually run the distance. I know they say the atmosphere will carry you along, but I'd want to know I could do it....

I've looked at MyAsics plans, I know you were about the same pace as me when you started, the ones I got seemed to me to be a bit daft - following your runs on GC, you plan seems very sensible...

• When I did my first HM I did the distance beforehand as I mentally needed to know that I could!!! However we are all different.

• Hi Curly

No ,the furthest my plan goes to is 17.5k, which is scheduled for next week - Eeek ! In fact I have got it coming up twice in the next 2 weeks - Even louder Eeek !

The plan says that this phase is for building leg strength and stamina .

I'm not too worried about not going the full distance until the day ( although yes it would be good to know if I can do it beforehand ) but this plan hasn't let me down yet, so I am placing my trust in it .. :-) xxx

• I agree, you will be well placed for a sub 2 hour. I have never followed plans but I follow principles. So I would suggest:

1 long run

1 interval session

1 tempo run ( fast)

if more- add in to get your weekly mileage up to 30 miles

This article is fab.... and has a useful table at the bottom to help you re mileage required.

• Thanks. I'm going to try to get four runs in per week for the time being... two slower paced runs (one of about 7-8km and one longer one which I will increase the distance on each week), one hill/interval session and one tempo run (usually parkrun, work commitments permitting). That'll only be about 30km per week to start with.

You may also like...