What was I posting? Ops! I forgot 😲

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to update all those who answered my last post. My flareup has gradually died down, it looks like the steroid injections have done the trick. I am back to work, currently in week 2 and holding up so far, although long days are knackering. I did a a long day yesterday and I was flat out and asleep by 8 pm. I am suppose to be working from home today. But woke up feeling exhausted and my elbows are as per usual 'throbbing'. I have had my meds well over an hour now and my elbow pain hasn't shifted as yet. I am hoping it does soon, as I have to work on a computer all day. If it doesn't I will be way behind and possibly will have to work all weekend.

Enough rambling, what I really want to ask is if anyone has deteriorating short term memory as a result of there condition. Over the last year I have found that my short term memory has gone downhill. 'If it isn't written it ain't gonna happen' is my new mantra. Some days it's so bad, I even forgot what I'm doing in the middle of doing a task. For eg I could never remember more than 2 items on a shopping list and even then I struggle. On some occasions I can't remember where I was or what I did the day before. Remembering to the beginning of a week is a miracle. It has now become so bad I even forgot to take my kids to the circus this Sunday gone. I had bought the tickets and told them about it, but forgot to take them on the day. I have spoken to my GP and he says it's my pain meds (for my back pain). With 16-22 tablets a day I am surprised some days that I'm still sane or standing.

I must say I not only have my 3 kids (this includes my husband) to worry about. I have the entire household to run, cope with a highly stressful job and manage this autoimmune condition and chronic back pain. My brain is in overdrive most of the time.

If you are suffering with poor short/long term memory, I would like to hear how you cope. Any tips welcomed.

Nicole2000

Last edited by

6 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hi Nicole2000,

We have a blog article about lupus brain fog which may be of interest to you. You can read it at lupusuk.org.uk/coping-with-...

• Thanks Paul. Great article. I have just sent it to my other half, so he has a better understanding of why I am lost for words mid conversation most of the time.

• My husband laughs at me as i have so many reminders going off on my phone , it has helped me through. I find my memory is worse if i get too tired or a bit stressed, so it helps to pace yourself. My boys are very good when they are home as they help with cleaning and shopping , so it's good to delegate. When i felt really bad I shopped on line . I hope you find a way of managing as it helps with stress and pain levels . Best wishes 🌸🌸

• Apparently start adding coconut oil into ur diet. They are doing reasesrch into memory n coconut oil n most people see the benefits in 2 weeks I'm starting today.

• Coconut oil seems to be one of the latest products to be getting very good marketing as a potential 'super food'. It is important to be skeptical about some of the claims out there.

It is important to bear in mind that coconut oil is about 90% saturated fat, which is a higher percentage than butter (about 64% saturated fat), beef fat (40%), or even lard (also 40%). Too much saturated fat in the diet is unhealthy because it raises "bad" LDL cholesterol levels, which increases the risk of heart disease. With the increased risk of cardiovascular disease already experienced by people with lupus it may be best to use sparingly.

Like anything, it may help some people who experience brain fog but not work for others.

• They have also suggested rosemary oil for improving memory, it has sold out in places as exam students buying it !!

You may also like...