Hope I’m welcome 👋
Hello all I’m new here and I really don’t know this works but I’m went to eat healthy more often 😊
Welcome to healthunlocked william218😊
Thanks a lot 🌹
Hi and welcome to the group, william218. Please feel free to continue posting and commenting, take a look at the Topics/Events/Polls/Pinned Posts sections for information and ideas, take the polls and of course, meet the other members of the group. Everyone here is very friendly and helpful!😀👍
How’s your day going so far today?
Thanks a lot , I really appreciate the welcome .
So far so good I hope you’re having a good day as well?
Thank you! Things are going okay today, but been really busy lately. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.😀
I hope you'll enjoy participating in the Healthy Eating Forum, and wishing you a Warm Welcome.
Thanks zest ,
You guys are so sweet here 😊
Hi William, welcome to the site. Good luck with your dietary changes!
My biggest suggestion to anyone trying to eat more healthily, is to try increasing your vegetable intake - try adding an extra portion each day, and see how you get on, then add more when you're able
Hey william218 we welcome all members who join and want to eat healthily so you're in good company on here and thanks for introducing yourself.
Be aware we have particular views on what "healthy" eating consists of. So if you start posting what you eat some people, possibly myself included, will shoot straight from the hip to give you guidance on how to improve. Hopefully that won't put you off.
Welcome to the Forum William218 😀
I am trying to eat healthily. I am a healthcare professional. I used to do all the wrong things and it caught up with me. I'm now 54 have high blood pressure and now high cholesterol too. So here goes:
1. As other posts eat lots of vegetables the widest variety possible as unprocessed as possible and the whole vegetable if possible i.e. potatoes with skin on.
2. Plenty of fruit but not too much and again a variety. Fruit juice avoid or in limited quantities and the whole fruit is always better as it has the roughage
3. Avoid sugar. It is addictive and has an effect on your dopamine systems as well as endocrine systems
4. Avoid processed food and cook from raw ingredients
5. Avoid microwave and prepared meals. If you do eat them read the lables and think about the effect on your health. Some are ok if like home made but generally the commercial products are rubbish
6. Avoid alcohol especially spirits. These are high in calories and addictive! If you drink keep to the 14 unit 140mls per week guideline or less
7. Ham sausage and other processed meats avoid them or very limited quantities, some are prepared with the same chemicals as used in dry cleaning!! Eat high quality only in limited quantities
8. Most commercial breakfast cereals are not good for you. Only porridge and meusli without added sugars (read the lables) are actually any good. Read the lables.
9. Smoked salmon is delicious but the salt will kill you. Buy fresh salmon and cook it and you'll live longer
10. The only good thing about soda is the water so drink water not soda. Liquid sugars in these and all the chemicals are bad. And it's addictive. Once you stop drinking them they will taste like what they are. Chemicals in water.
11. Most cheap food is cheap for a reason. Good food generally costs more.
12. Good food actually tastes better once you kick the old habits
13. Some things ok like very dark chocolate as the cocoa is good though milk chocolate high in saturated fats and sugar
14. Limit carbs, but not very low carbs. high fat low carbs diets are not good for you as not balanced and too much fat will kill you
15. Fast food generally bad except kebab on a stick if it's proper meat served with salad and pitta bread
16. Avoid salt. It is a myth perpetuated by the catering and food industries that it is a flavour enhancer. It isnt it just makes food salty and helps preserve it. Season food wth herbs and spices and don't add salt to anything. After a while your palate adjusts and food tastes better. Food without added salt only tastes bland because you are used to the salt. Avoid it.
Salt, sugar and cocaine are all the "white death" and all addictive in one way or another.
17. The intermittent fasting ideas work because of calorie restriction only. All the diet professionals I speak to consistently say you should eat a healthy breakfast because the brain needs glucose to work properly and skipping meals causes the body to compensate and store fat when you do eat. So just eat regular and healthy and enjoy your food.
18 avocados bananas tomatoes as well as many other fruit and vegetables are super foods but eat a variety for balance
19 eggs are great but not too many. I think 6 a week is optimal balancing up the advice
20. Too much of anything is bad for you
21. Food supplements are pushed by magazines and the companies that sell them. Eat a varied balanced diet and you don't need them. Having said that a dementia expert recommended fish oil and B vitamins especially folic acid to ward off dementia
Happy healthy eating!
Find some recipes and cook what you like. Millions on the internet just watch the above.
Oh and cheese in limited quantities. The calcium is good for you but the fat isn't. The guideline is no more than a matchbox size piece not a whole chunk!
home, & being more relaxed when out, though probably eat at least 90% good food overall as I’m a fusspot...
research ( heavy industry) and been an advocate of healthy eating and lifestyle for many many years. I was a...
Hi all, I’m sorry if this post exists, I’m using the app and I can’t search through the history. I’d...
Partner with us
Start a Community