Log in
5,907 members8,275 posts

What happens now please?

A quick precis for those I haven't met before - my husband suffered an apparently minor bang on the head last August, but although it seemed innocuous enough the effects are still with us I think.

My dilemma in past posts has been whether or not his behaviour is an aftereffect, or if he's just an arse really :)

Well, thanks to the support and encouragement I eventually got him to the GP this morning, and she has agreed a referral to either a Neuropsychologist, or if one is not available she has said she will refer to a Neurologist.

Can anyone give me any insight as to what happens now? Or what I may be looking to get from this really? I know it was the first step towards getting some help - I'd settle for some validation that it's the injury at fault, and I'm doing ok right now, but presumably they can get him to accept something is wrong? At the moment he keeps insisting he's fine.

4 Replies

As someone who was a complete arse and sometimes still is, this can be quite normal behaviour. Life is very muddly and frustrating to him now and he's trying very hard to be normal and make sense of things that don't make sense. He's being referred to the right people at last, hope the appointments come through soon.


It may be Post Concussion Syndrome. Often not seen on mri/ct scans. The upset to the brain from the minor bang could cause on going side effects. This video explains mild/moderate & tbi head trauma,




1 like

A neuropsychologist referral will usually result in your husband undergoing a neuro psych assessment. This involves a wide range of tests to determine cognitive functioning and helps them to identify any issues. The tests look at a variety of functions including memory, concentration, attention, perception etc For someone with a brain injury this can be extremely tiring - I was incoherent by the end of mine and slept for hours when we got home.

Although the assessment was able to clearly identify problems, there was actually very little they could offer in terms of practical help and advice. BUT I have to say it really was valuable because it confirmed the problem areas and they were able to explain a little of the what and why stuff that had eluded us. I may well be an arse at times (aren't we all?) but I am an arse dealing with the long term effects of a TBI ;)

A neurologist may order some physical tests if he feels they are necessary and may also refer him for a neuropsych assessment. In my experience the neurologist was more involved at the point of injury and in the early days of recovery. They are great for initial diagnosis and physical treatment..after that they seem to seek input from the neuropysch who takes a more detailed look at the person rather that just as the brain.

Have no idea if any of this will be helpful but really hope you and your husband gets some answers.


You may also like...