Has anyone know of anyone or been told that they have staring spells?

my partner was telling me what she noticed how i behaved, so i did some looking around and when i put the text below she said that was me!

A less dramatic form of epilepsy also involves loss of consciousness, but without a fall to the ground or

convulsive movements. These attacks are aptly called "staring spells" because the patients stop what they're

doing, lose eye-contact with other people, and appear to stare into space. If spoken to during attacks, the

patients do not respond.''

13 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Yes I have these issues from discussion s in this forum it is quite common

• did you have an EEG?

• Yes, me too. Same thing, infrequently

• also loss of self control, i.e getting angry for no real reason?

• the normal term is Absences in some people it can be very obvious in others it can be just be a moment ie unless someone knew what they where looking at, wouldn't notice.

I work in care with folks with learning disabilities and Epilepsy is common.

• I REALLY ADMIRE YOU FOR THE WORK YOU DO. GOOD FOR YOU

• CHeers though has to be said it's a fun job today is the hydro pool!

• Dear Red_spinel,

Undiagnosed epilepsy can pose a risk to your safety if you were to have a seizure whilst doing an everyday task, such as taking a bath. It can be difficult to distinguish between "day dreaming" and absence seizures,

for this reason I would suggest discussing this with your GP.

Best Wishes

Headway UK

• My stroke gave me epilepsy, and I guess my Auras before a full on seizure can relate to an Absence.

I used to space out for a while before a seizure; I remember playing a video game (Mario Kart), and my friends were saying something to me, I just didn't really know what it was. I wasn't pressing any buttons, and I knew that, but for some reason it didn't seem weird.

If you think losing in Mario Kart sucks, think about if that had happened whilst I was crossing a road. Please please please talk to a doctor about it.

• I have had this for over 7 years now nearly got me into trouble as someone thought I was staring at them

• did you have an EEG?

• I had a brain scan twice the consultant just said I had permanent brain damage which could not be operated on that was it.

• Yep! I had those for about two years after my tumour was removed but they gradually stopped.

You may also like...