GBS which led to early labour

Hi all, not to annoy people but has anyone had the experience where strep b had infected an unborn baby and led to early labour?

I received my little daughters post mortem results which disclosed that strep b was in her lungs. She was only at 23 weeks gestation and while I obviously can't do anything for my little angel, I worry that i may had issues in addition to strep b.

We meet our consultant after the holidays and I guess that I would like as much information as is possible.

Thank you in advance for any help! Sx

1 Reply

oldestnewest
  • I'm so sorry to read of your daughter's extremely premature birth and death. My heart goes out to you - please accept my sincere condolences.

Yes, along with many other bacteria found in the vagina, GBS can cause infection of a baby in the womb, which can result in preterm birth, stillbirth and late miscarriage. However, thankfully these events are not common and GBS is a rare cause of them. These complications are usually caused by a variety of factors other than GBS: genetic defects, gynaecological problems, other infections, etc. When you see your consultant, you should make sure all of these possibilities are investigated fully, in addition to the GBS issue.

I do hope you get the answers you need to your many questions. If you haven't already, please do contact us at info@gbss.org.uk or on 01444 416176 if we can help in any way.

Best wishes,

Jane

You may also like...