Study presented at the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO) Congress may mean a new way to treat patients with stage 3 lung cancer

This past week, results of some key studies were presented at a major meeting in Spain. One study, called the PACIFIC trial, could change the way that patients with stage 3 lung cancer are treated. The study showed that patients with stage 3 lung cancer who took an immunotherapy drug (durvalumab, brand name Imfinzi) after chemotherapy and radiation had a longer period of progression-free survival (16.8 months) than patients who were not treated with immunotherapy (5.6 months). The results for overall survival are not yet available. Durvalumab is a PD-L1 inhibitor that is not yet FDA approved for lung cancer. onclive.com/conference-cove...

Skip

Featured Content

Are you a patient with lung cancer?

Please add your voice as an advocate today to help raise awareness about some of the issues commonly faced.

Learn more

Featured by HealthUnlocked

5 Replies

oldestnewest
  • This certainly sounds hopeful. It expands the potential treatments. I hope it is approved and can be added to the arsenal currently available to us.

Jean

• Great news. I would add however, that very occasionally only, a surgeon may still do surgery with level III AB . I am witness to this , and still alive after 5 years and 3 months! Moral is Do Not Ever Give Up! Kind Regards, judg69

• judg69 Thank you so much for sharing this! It is very important to know that surgery can be possible for some patients. Great to hear that you are an example of this!

• Thanks for sharing this. There's so much going on trialwise it's hard to keep up.

• Oncologists seem to be very excited by this - one said it's the first change in standard of care for stage 3 in 15 years.

You may also like...