Early CKD Support
4,636 members1,728 posts

Stage 3 CKD

I have stage 3 CKD and am diabetic. My GP only mentions HbA1AC level after 6 monthly blood results and nothing about eGFR which hovers around 45.I have talked about high level of Urea and Creatinine but GP’s reply was that’s always been high so nothing to worry about.

It does appear that GP’s are not concerned about stage 3 and do not refer to Nephrologist at this stage as long as it remains stable.

The only advice I get to watch my K level by following low potassium diet.

11 Replies
oldestnewest

If your blood levels have indeed always been high then you GP may be right. Nothing to worry about. The eGFR is just an estimate. And even if it is correct many people live perfectly normal lives without any kidney issues with a eGFR of 45. It's a falling eGFR that is concerning. Or other symptoms such as uncontrolled blood pressure or glucose. But if your feeling good, I wouldn't worry too much.

As far as seeing a kidney doc, he's probably right about not needing one. You got a ways to go before your in the "red' zone.

1 like

I totally agree!!!

1 like

I guess some GPs are not concerned about a stage 3. Mine was, and I am very grateful, because I was able to educate myself regarding ckd, and have made many changes in my diet, which helped me bring GFR from 36.6 to 54.0. Am seeing the nephrologist on Monday to get latest results. I would much rather make changes now and forestall worsening than to just wait until it gets worse.

3 likes

Please could you tell me how you changed your diet to increase GFR? Mine is hovering around 30 so I’d love to raise it

1 like

I will reply with a copy of my post to jo13bi:

There is a lot of information on the internet. Much of it is bogus. However, many doctors, including nephrologists also say that you can't get it back up. You will learn, as we all have had to do, to filter through the bad info to what will help you. Also, the direction to eat healthily does not give you the information you need. There are many diets out there that are "healthy", but not necessarily healthy for people with ckd. Resources that I have found helpful are Davita.com (though I am careful to sift through their recipes because some are heavier than I like in sodium, potassium and phosphorous), National Kidney Foundation, Renal Support Network, Mayo Clinic (Chronic Kidney Disease, WebMD (Understanding Kidney Disease), etc. I personally have found Mathea Ford's books, particularly, Living with Chronic Kidney Disease--Pre-Dialysis and Create Your Own Kidney Diet Plan very helpful. Also, if you scroll through the related posts in the top right hand corner of this site, you will find much help. Mr. Kidney and others have also spent much time studying and gather information.

Recipe Information:

There are many resources for kidney friendly recipes. Here are a few helpful links:

•DaVita – Recipes: This website has over 1,000 renal friendly recipes and a free Diet Helperservice!

•The American Association of Kidney Patients – Kidney Friendly Recipes: A great resource with many recipes for all meals!

•The Kidney Foundation of Canada – Kidney Kitchen Cookbook: A community cookbook that includes options for beverages, breakfast, lunch, and dinner! There is also a meal plan option.

•The National Kidney Foundation – My Food Coach: Allows you to specify your diet between full renal diet, low sodium, and diabetic.

•The American Heart Association – Nutrition Center: Provides a lot of tips on dining out, cooking, and healthy shopping.

•Heart Healthy Online – Low Sodium Recipes: If you’ve been advised to follow a low-sodium diet, these delicious recipes are perfect for you – they all have 140 mg or less of sodium per serving.

•Mega Heart – Low Sodium Recipes: This site has a lot of low sodium recipes and there is even a kid’s section!

I have spent 8 months researching, sifting through, studying ckd. If you have any specific questions or concerns, feel free to post on this site. Many people with much experience are very willing and able to help out.

Good luck and keep in touch. Support is very important so that you know that you are not alone.

Hope this helps!

Thank you 😀

Hi, if you are concerned find a kidney doctor. Fortunstely my family dictor picked up on my gfr changing, ultrasound, renal scan, large dtone detected, which may have ruined my kidney. Diabetes and high blood pressure are 2 main things that are very hard on kidneys. I would look fir kidney doctor.

Hello - blood sugar control and kidney health are certainly related just like all things in the body are. I am surprised to hear there is such a laissez faire approach currently around a GFR of less than 50 from the GP. Are you happy to share your current HBA1C and what the original cause of the diabetes was? It is worthwhile also to ask if you can get a protein to creatinine urine test done as this tells much more about kidney health. Creatinine and age are part of the GFR computations and whilst useful are also fairly rudimentary. The bigger picture is always helpful. Certainly you will know yourself the importance of managing the diabetes in order to protect your kidneys, nerves and cardiovascular health. Advising solely to follow a low potassium without a wider view is also a bit limited. For example I run a very healthy potassium on peritoneal dialysis and as a nutritionist I have the requisite knowledge to apply to my own wellbeing. I ensure to include good amounts of vegetables and some fruit. It is very important for the kidneys to have a healthy potassium to sodium ratio. Having had kidney issues since a young child it seems not much has moved on in the field of renal medicine. I wish to be part of changing that.

2 likes

Thank you WhollyAlligned, for your comments on the link between diabetes and CKD.

My diabetes was diagnosed in 2011 and CKD condition started after I had nephroctomy in 2007.

I had followed plant based diet since my diabetes was diagnosed and HbA1C hovers around 6.5%.

My diabetes is not hereditary and I am not overweight.The reason behind is a mystery to me , although I have been taking statins for the last 20 Year or so.

There’s a link between statins and diabetes but cholesterol has been an issue as well.

All these conditions are interlinked and with all this medication and food intake low in potassium, salt, proteins and phosphate is a struggle in itself.

One tries to remain positive and hopefully the conditions remain stable.

1 like

Thank you. How can I best help you? Cholesterol on its own is not so interesting as a risk factor for heart disease. Many people who have cardiac events had normal lipid profile. So were statins prescribed purely for management of high cholesterol? Certainly I would advise to supplement with COQ10 if not already as this is depleted by statins and important for both heart and kidney health. Do your research of course but you might find this interesting rejuvenation-science.com/re...

What is your current GFR?

Apologies, you had it in original post. GFR good and I really think COQ10 will help. Happy to chat anything through

You may also like...