Lymphs from 4.76 to 9.2 in 4 months?

My wife was diagnosed with CLL approx 2 years ago.

She was treated with FC (3 lots) in Apr 2013 and all her bloods were then in normal range until Oct 2013 (approx 6 months later) when her WBC had crept up from 9.7 to 13.6 and her Lymphocytes from 3.12 to 4.76 (both readings just slightly above normal range).

In her latest tests this week (approx 4 months later) her WBC has increased just very slightly from 13.6 to 14.9 but her Lymphocytes have increased from 4.76 to 9.24. All other results are normal.

My question is should we be worried by what appears to be a doubling of Lymphocytes in 4 months but in these very low numbers? Her consultant Haematologist didn't seem worried and will see her again in a couple of months.

Thanks in anticipation of some info from the "gurus" on this forum

Last edited by

3 Replies

• After treatment things change a bit... but the numbers are still low...

See Progressive disease... section 5:3 in the guidelines

• I had similar blood count changes after my first rounds of treatment. Both of my expert CLL doctors cautioned that doubling time is NOT used until the WBC/ALC are over 20. And you should be ignoring the WBC, and track the ALC over several successive tests over several months to compensate for all the normal variations in the readings. The WBC will jump around more from changing Neutrophil levels when the total WBC is that low.

• Thank you both for your responses. It's reassuring to read them and you confirm our thoughts.

You may also like...