Changing Faces
1,125 members β€’ 80 posts

Advice needed please - Retrognathia and jaw surgery

I'm looking for advice please. I'm 37 with Juvenile Arthritis and I need both of my jaw joints replaced. Has anyone else here had this surgery please and can you give me any advice? How long do they last?

I've also been diagnosed recently with retrognathia even though its a problem I've had for years. The surgeon is talking about moving my top jaw to help with sleep apnoea, I am more nervous about this than the jaw joint replacements πŸ˜•

Many thanks

2 Replies
oldest β€’ newest

Hello Arkyfox. Welcome the the Changing Faces Community and thank you for posting your thoughts on here. It sounds like you've got a lot coming up in terms of treatment and understandably you're feeling a bit nervous about it all. Could you say a bit more about what you are worrying about?

Hey 😁. I had my top jaw removed due to having cancer there and to be honest it was fine. Other then having my face looking unusual and having a little dip to it in place of where the jaw could be I can still swollow and stuff.

(but because my face was swollen for 2 weeks I couldn't eat or drink and had to have a feeding tube) but the end result is worth it.

THIS took me about 12 hours I think? Because they had to remove it, put screws and plates in and put the muscle from my back on my cheek, but I'm aware this is entirely different situation.

Are they talking about replacing and putting things in place?

You may also like...