carers allowance: I have been looking after... - Care Community

Care Community

5,290 members1,653 posts

carers allowance

Howard25
Howard25

I have been looking after my wife for 17 years ,recently I became eligible for my state pension which I took only to be told my carers allowance would be stopped this has caused a huge impact on our lives is there any thing that I can do to help us financially .

10 Replies
oldestnewest

Have you looked at attendance allowance?

Hidden
Hidden

As Philip says, you can now apply for attendance allowance. For some reason they seem to think that if you are retired you can do the caring for free as you have all the time in the world and nothing else to do with it. You should get the attendance allowance with no problem and it will be backdated.

Mydexter
Mydexter in reply to Hidden

Attendance allowance is paid to the person who needs the care NOT the carer , the carer can then claim carers allowance but when you get your state pension that stops as you cannot claim both. Your wife must be getting AA already for you to have been getting carers allowance, she will still get AA but because you are now getting your state pension your carers allowance will stop.

If you google NHS benefits for carers it will give you lots of info on what's available to you other than carers allowance., good luck

Hidden
Hidden

I know what's available, we have been retired for quite a few years.

Mydexter
Mydexter in reply to Hidden

Me too , I gave up work to look after my Mum who claimed Attendance allowance and I then claimed carers allowance for looking after her, my post was for Howard25 he was asking for information 😃

Hi Howard I'd been told that once you get your pension your carers allowance stops as well. They give you with one hand and take back with the other it seems

This is because they are overlapping benefits. This means you are paid which ever is the higher amount. Most state pensioners' pension is higher than Carers Allowance.

Have you actually claimed your pension? You don't have to! You can allow it to gain interest and claim carers allowance instead but you can't claim both together!

Marie x

To late I have started to claim my pension.

Hello Howard . Your state pension must be more than the Carers Allowance.

Suggest you ask your local Age UK to go through this with you to see if, as a couple, there is anything else you can claim.

You may also like...