Hi there, I've recently been diagnosed with bronchiectasis and had 7 courses of antibiotics last year as well as for pneumonia. This week I had an awful cough, lots of mucous and then a temperature. The mucous changed from green to beige as I got more flu like symptoms so I've decided to hold off. it is now yellow. I've been clearing my chest and am hoping I can fight it off. The doctors wanted me to start my antibiotics( had a telephone consultation as was too ill to go in). However, I got a second opinion from the respiratory Occupational Therapist who agreed that antibiotics won't help flu. I feel like I've had to take so many antibiotics (and it's also my birthday next week so would be nice to be able to taste food and have a drink) and wonder if I should question the doctors or if I should really be taking them now. I feel that they do a great job but are maybe scared not to advise us to take them straight away. Has anyone submitted a sputum sample and then gone onto antibiotics? Anyway, just wondered if am doing the right thing. I still have a hacking cough (I also have asthma) but surely we all get coughs and colds and flu and don't need antibiotics.
Has anyone held off on antibiotics if... - Bronchiectasis Su...
387 members • 172 posts