Can you still drive if diagnosed with auto immune hepatitis?

Can anyone advise if you are permitted to drive if you have been diagnosed with auto immune hepatitis?

I have had a provisional drivers licence prior to diagnosis. My consultant did not mention anything about is to me but the DVLA have said I need to complete a medical questionnaire and I am now concerned I will not be allowed to drive.

If anyone has experienced this or if there is anyone out there with AIH but can still drive, please let me know.

Thanks

3 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Yes you can still drive. AIH is not a neurological condition. It's things like eyesight, stroke, epilepsy that are the medical restraints on driving. Are you on medication for the AIH and how is your current state of health?

• I don't think that AIH is going to stop you being able to hold a driving licence - there are various health conditions which are notifiable because they can cause blackouts, seizures and such like. The full list of notifiable conditions is on the dvla.gov website at gov.uk/health-conditions-an... (AIH and indeed no other liver conditions are listed and I note that hepatic encephalopathy isn't either [???]) and the full legalities of driving and disability are at gov.uk/driving-medical-cond... .

You can keep yourself right by telling them but it isn't a notifiable condition so should not affect your driving.

Hope that helps.

Katie

• Absolutely no problem with driving and I have never told DVLA. It isn't on the list of conditions you need to tell them about.

Ann

You may also like...