Bridge to 10K
6,124 members โ€ข 6,847 posts

Intervals ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Have done a bit of research on increasing speed and came across a great calculator. According to this I should do 8x 400m at my speed pace followed by 3-4 minutes regular jog.

runnersworld.co.uk/rws-trai...

Well thatโ€™s easier said than done! Managed to do 200m at speed pace followed by 200m walk and 200m regular jog. Think I managed 6 times and got to 4K. But the thing is, Iโ€™m a bit put out by the fact that I canโ€™t maintain that speed for very long. I must be so slow! If I ran an entire 5k at that pace, Iโ€™d still be at 27 minutes. Like how do people even run fast for long? I donโ€™t get it ๐Ÿค”

24 Replies
oldest โ€ข newest

Thanks for the link.๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Must get into this stuff.๐ŸŒŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

1 like

Hi,

Although new to running, I do ballroom dancing regularly, the saying is that you should only compare yourself with the dancer you used to be - a good idea to carry over into running!

2 likes

Yes I am a novice runner.

But I do intend to be the best I can be in my twilight years.๐Ÿค”

50-60 years ago I used to do a lot of mountaineering, so maybe I have the same mindset as your dancing analogy.

Interesting, enjoy your journey and run because we can.๐ŸŒŸ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

1 like

Hi Tasha interesting article and calculator.

I believe that we are all built differently - I cannot run "fast" even over very short distances. I did Parkrun with my son on Saturday and although I wasn't tired at all (we'd done walk/run intervals) when he kicked in the last 100m there was absolutely no way I could stay with him - my legs literally cannot move fast enough. I was always last by a very long way in the 100m at school and even in sport's day mums' races - got beaten by someone carrying a small baby once and I was properly trying ๐Ÿ˜‚

My boyfriend's work colleague came 2nd in this week's Parkrun with a time of 16:10!!! I can't even imagine how anyone could do that let alone the world record 12:37 - superhuman!

We can only ever be the best versions of ourselves and practise will get us to that x

4 likes

Yes I need to stop comparing myself to others! Hopefully intervals will help a bit! At Our ParkRun thereโ€™s a guy who does it in like 15:30 or something ridiculous like that! ๐Ÿค”

1 like

"Comparison is the thief of joy"

I'm sure the training will help - practising never made anyone worse at anything :-)

Our Parkrun record is 14:14 - he's a local athlete who runs for GB. If he comes to do it again I'm going to watch rather than take part because I would just love to see someone going that fast :-)

3 likes

Yes, someone did ours in 15mins something and as he went past I just stopped to watch in wonder. My aim is usually to try and get round the first lap without being lapped by the lead runner - doesn't always happen.

1 like

I see how far I can get round before getting lapped too ๐Ÿ˜‚

2 likes

Haha! Ours is along the seafront then you turn around just past the pier to come back. The leaders pass me every week when I'm at about 1.5k - it's really impressive!

1 like

Wow, 16.10 for a normal park run, that's something we all dream about, that guy must surely be in an athletic club for a time like that, probably using that for training purposes to run a marathon.

Yes he is a marathon runner - PB is around 2.5 hours!!

1 like

2.02.hours 57 seconds is the world record for a marathon, that man at 2.5 hours is just 0.48 seconds behind that.

2 and a half hours - not world record pace but still very fast :-)

sorry about that, ha, there I was thinking the 2.5 was seconds, not 2 and a half hours, silly me, thank you for correcting me. Nevertheless, 2 and a half hours for a 26-mile marathon is still very good going and very fast.

1 like

Sounds hard just reading it!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ

1 like

I can't see the logic of doing 8x 400m intervals from the off. The point of this is to build speed. Intervals should be done over a shorter run as it is working on your speed. Try doing 4 x 400m for 2-4 weeks first then build up by adding another interval or two every couple of weeks. 8x400m should be an end goal not a starting point.

2 likes

I couldnโ€™t do 400m really. I had to cut down to 200! Epic failure!

1 like

Not at all. You could do it a 6x100m or 4x200m - start at a managable point and build up. Setting the bar too high to begin with is going to make you feel like a failure. I am surprised with runnersworld.

3 likes

Ok will do. Actually considering getting a treadmill at home for this.

1 like

Very interesting, just had a look and i may have a go on my fast mondays session. Still on your hols n researching running you really are keen!!

1 like

Hmmm only because I feel obliged to run. Not sure I enjoy it yet!

Thanks for sharing the link! Iโ€™m nowhere near doing that type of stuff, but will keep the link for future.

In W8 so just trying to get past the big milestone right now ๐Ÿ˜€

1 like

Week 8 and 9 are the same imo. Well done ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿฝ

1 like

Interesting read Tasha - but 400m intervals are pretty hardcore! Iโ€™m doing 2 mins on and one minute off at the mo but thanks for sharing your holiday reading. ๐Ÿน๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Š

1 like

You may also like...