Metastatic

wife after 4.5 years of remission went for sonography for a UTI anD there was a incidental finding that shook our life .the doctor told me that there are multiple lesions in lever & she has hepatic mets .we rushed forPET-CT & now results came in the same that she has multiple lesion I lever at suv of 4.6 and some lymph nodes involved in abdomen ,also a spot on illiac bone .this comes after all clear scans on 6th June 2015 so all this developed in last 3 months. I am terrified & my head is spinning

12 Replies

oldestnewest
  • Hello Many , I understand it could be very scary to get this news. But if you send more information about your wife s health history than doctos will be able to guide you more. For an example when was she diagnosed, if any pathology , radiology or surgical reports. Type and stage at the time of diagnosis.

    And even with recurrence some types of Breast cancer has very good treatment options available . Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family .

  • I can understand. It must be a most stressful situation for the whole family.

    The step now would be chemotherapy with or without targeted treatment depending on certain factors in pathology report. When someone gets a cancer recurrence, it is always preferable to have a fresh biopsy done again; in her case, it can be done from the liver lesions. The reason is, some breast cancers undergo a phase migration where earlier ER and PR positive ones become negative or triple negative. However, your oncologist would be the best person to decide that. He will also decide about the bony lesions, whether and palliative radiation is needed there. He will tell you about a bone stabiliser injection called zoledronic acid and other such medicines.

    Though the situation is difficult, I can tell you, I have seen many patients who get good remissions with proper chemotherapy. Please don't lost hope. We will fight this out.

  • Biopsy tomorrow by dr Bhavin zankaria & slides to be seen by dr anita Borges followed by port insertion on friday

  • Yes. That's the right way to go.

  • Hi many - very tough time. Pl don't take tension as Dr has told there are now a days many treatments, we will fight out this situation.

    Keep posting and take care of her

  • Sumeetsir. We already had biopsy done today & the report will be available by next Wednesday due to public holidays this weekend. .is it safe to wait 1 week till biopsy results come or the cancer might spread elsewhere as oncologist told that he will plan chemo after biopsy results are back. ,,PLZ REPLY

  • Sumeetsir. We already had biopsy done today & the report will be available by next Wednesday due to public holidays this weekend. .is it safe to wait 1 week till biopsy results come or the cancer might spread elsewhere as oncologist told that he will plan chemo after biopsy results are back. ,,PLZ REPLY

    Reply

  • We need to see the biopsy report to decide upon the type of chemo and radiation. Only in those situations, where there is rapidly rising jaundice or such dire emergency, we start chemo without seeing any report. Apart from that, it is preferable to wait and see and select a proper chemo protocol which is most likely to work.

  • Many...might seem like a overwhelming situation...take one step at a time...We are all with you. ..stay strong and let's fight it out

    Hugs Richa

  • Dear Many:

    We are all with you. Together we will fight it our. Just wait till the reports come. Please be strong & positive. U can share all your fears on this forum. You are not alone.

    Regards,

    Tiger72.

  • The biopsy report came from Anita Borges and shows ER-90% ,Pr-10% & HER2-2+ (equivocal) ,HER-2 sent for retesting by Fish but meanwhile MO says that he would like to shut the ovaries by LUPRON since estatdiol levels came at-128 & then start a AI after a month .he says that AI WOULD BENIFIT MORE THEN CHEMO.if her-2 by fish would come positive then chemo or else just ovarian suppression combined by AI ,PLZ COMMENT

  • Soneone presents with visceral disease in lung or liver...the standard treatment would be chemotherapy first...achieve response...and then after that put on long term hormone therapy treatment.

    If someone has bone metastasis only, in those situations...one would go for upfront Hormone treatment as has been described and offered to you.

    In few exceptional cases, patient too old, too frail, or patient refuses chemo, the second best option here may be upfront hormones.

You may also like...