High blood pressure: Hi I am 54 and... - High Blood Pressu...

High Blood Pressure Support
2,268 members576 posts

High blood pressure

Rosa1966
Rosa1966

Hi I am 54 and have high blood pressure.

I am trying to control it myself and my doctor has given me 2 month to try and reduce it without medication.

I am not overweight and I go running three times a week.

I have a healthy diet but i do have a weakness for crisps.

Any suggestion on what I can do to reduce my blood pressure which is running at 160/96 at present.

12 Replies
oldestnewest

This web page has some useful tips. bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPr...

Lowering salt intake would be a good start.

Thank you

Well dietary changes help many people.The BHF have a heart friendly diet to follow which is basically the Mediterranean one.I went further and cut out meat altogether but still eat a small amount of fish and low fat dairy.I still need meds but lost a good deal of weight which was much needed.I have also tried meditation for relaxation and I take a couple of brisk walks every day.The running is good though...never been a runner myself. The crisps are a definite no no as you need to reduce your consumption of salt.I love salty foods but no more for me.It's worth a try.Good luck

Thank you.

Hawthorn berry tea can help regulate blood pressure. I tried it last year and it does work but only while you are drinking it. I am also on medication for BP.

Thank you.

Have you had your vitamin levels and thyroid checked? They can cause blood pressure problems.

Rosa1966
Rosa1966
in reply to Earlyriser

I have made an appointment to see the doctor to get my bloods done.

Thank you

I have HBP too - I lost a couple of stone which helped, then thought I'd cracked it, and then put the weight back on. My BP is 140/85 on a good day, 160/100 on a bad day. I take amlodipine 5mg and losartan 25mg every night before bed. Sport helps - if I get a bit of a sweat on, then the BP normalises for the rest of the day, likewise berries and hibiscus tea work for me too, and I take a multivitamin each morning to ensure I get what I need, as well as a turmeric supplement in the evening. I still need to lose 2 stone though!

Rosa1966
Rosa1966
in reply to blags72

Thank you

I think it would be prudent to try and figure out why your blood pressure is high. You are active so I can assume you are at ideal body weight. What about other medications and if you have any other possible illnesses. A Low Salt diet is what works best for me. Strive for 2gM per day or 2000 mg.

Hi I am not at ideal body weight but trying no salt diet.

Thank you

You may also like...